I never ask for help, but.....

jbrink01

is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
good LORD my chicken sucked this weekend. I'm new to the FEC100 world but have been cooking on 500's for years. I used to cook my chicken on a Tail-Gator pellet grill and got called for it 2 out of 3 contests last year. I tried cooking it in my 100 and was 70th of 76, yes 70TH!!!!

I'm open to any FEC100 specific help you guys can give. My skin was tough, but the rest of the bird was decent. I suppose I need timeline and temp help......anyone? I'd like to cook everything on the 100......

Although we're not the one's you'd want to copy. We set ours at 300, (which averages about 325 over the cook) cook for 2 hrs turning every 1/2 hr. Baste the last 1/2 hr.

I don't know much about pellet smokers but I did eat your chicken at Degaque last year and it was pretty good. Thought you got a call with it. Point is that tail- gator doesn't take up much room.

1st scrape fat

2nd 3 hours @ 275

- 1st hour in aluminum pan with margerine and another liquid

- Next hour and a half take out of pan and put on the second from top rack spritz with water or juice every half hour.

- last half hour set sauce and take off the fec at last minute.

I have had several calls in chicken including 2 firsts using this method. I am sure there are better methods but this one has worked well for us and its easy.

I've had good results at 310 however, I'm starting to really like 275. It gives the skins more time to render. +1 on the butter pan, it works well for me too.

good LORD my chicken sucked this weekend. I'm new to the FEC100 world but have been cooking on 500's for years. I used to cook my chicken on a Tail-Gator pellet grill and got called for it 2 out of 3 contests last year. I tried cooking it in my 100 and was 70th of 76, yes 70TH!!!!

I'm open to any FEC100 specific help you guys can give. My skin was tough, but the rest of the bird was decent. I suppose I need timeline and temp help......anyone? I'd like to cook everything on the 100......

LMAO. Sorry, no help here with FEC's, but I did the exact same thing with my offsets. Went to the new Lang (which I love) but everything changed, and went from 2 3'rds and a 2nd in chicken to, as best I recall, 34th of 37. Rubber chicken just dont get 'er done...

I cook over direct coals @ 375 for 2 hours. spritz occasionally, then finish the sauce for 15-30 minutes @ 250-300

I can't cook chicken, but I do love my FEC...and if you look around our trailer there are a couple other cookers that we may use on
@#^%&* chicken..
If you are going to keep it on the fec , higher heat.

Thanks to ALL. I got a couple PM's as well. I think the trend is to scraped / thinned skin and a bit higher temp. Thanks again guys, Washington is 2 weeks. I'll let you know!!

Back