First Chuckie w/Pron!

Desertracer

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
All this talk lately about chuckie I thought I would see what all the fuss was about. I got my local butcher to cut me up a 6.25lbs chuck, put my own rub on it, and let it sit for about 5 hours. I got the UDS set at 250 degrees and let cook for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark I put it in a pan with a can of beer, apple smoked bacon, and butter; and let it cook for another 1.5 hours, until about 165 degrees. I foiled it the rest of the way until 198 degrees and pulled it off to rest for 1.5 hours. It pulled apart okay but not like I would have wanted but it was pretty good. Total cook time was 6.5 hours.

Attachments

• chuckie rubbed.JPG
    chuckie rubbed.JPG
    152.4 KB · Views: 240
  • chuckie 3 hr.JPG
    chuckie 3 hr.JPG
    163.9 KB · Views: 240
  • chuckie pan.JPG
    chuckie pan.JPG
    101 KB · Views: 240
  • chuckie plated.JPG
    chuckie plated.JPG
    124.5 KB · Views: 241
Last edited:
Looks good. I did my first chuckle a few weeks ago also on a uds, and let it go about 12-13 hrs. Until it "probed like butter", it was great. I didn't really look for a specific temp to pull it at, just kept it on until probe tender. Keep at it, you'll get the feel for it.:thumb:

All this talk lately about chuckie I thought I would see what all the fuss was about. I got my local butcher to cut me up a 6.25lbs chuck, put my own rub on it, and let it sit for about 5 hours. I got the UDS set at 250 degrees and let cook for 3 hours. At the 3 hour mark I put it in a pan with a can of beer, apple smoked bacon, and butter; and let it cook for another 1.5 hours, until about 165 degrees. I foiled it the rest of the way until 198 degrees and pulled it off to rest for 1.5 hours. It pulled apart okay but not like I would have wanted but it was pretty good. Total cook time was 6.5 hours.

you pulled it too soon. for me, chuckies always seem to take a little longer to finish than I think they will...usually they're up over 200° before they're ready

Looks good. I did my first chuckle a few weeks ago also on a uds, and let it go about 12-13 hrs. Until it "probed like butter", it was great. I didn't really look for a specific temp to pull it at, just kept it on until probe tender. Keep at it, you'll get the feel for it.:thumb:
^^^that

Looks good! I agree that it wasn't done yet.

Looks good. I always have to cook chuckies forever till they pull apart easily. I finish mine in foil and they are always braising at 210-212, but I don't check for temp, just for tenderness.

It pulled apart okay but it didn't fall apart. I only pulled part of it and put it back in the oven to rest some more. After another hour resting it came apart a lot better. It was definitely good!

Next, maybe brisket?

Is there a ball park time per pound for the chuckys? I did one last week and made the same mistake of pulling it too soon. Now I know better :). Looks good anyhow.

I just went by what I had seen posted about pulling it off around 200 degrees. Next time i may take it to about 210-215 and rest for two hours.

It looks great but you want it really probe tender. You'll get it!

Back