Question on a competition trailer color?

jelser

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I am ready to take the plunge and spend some money on a new enclosed trailer. I would like a black one but not sure if it will create more heat inside than a white one. Any thoughts?

I am ready to take the plunge and spend some money on a new enclosed trailer. I would like a black one but not sure if it will create more heat inside than a white one. Any thoughts?

I have a black trailer and it gets REALLY hot inside unless I'm running the AC. The black looks great, but unless it's fully insulated, I'd not recommend it.

Go white

Go white i have had both ,there is a big diff. White is much cooler.

Just sayin

We're about ready to purchase an enclosed trailer also. Never even took into consideration the color playing a factor of how hot it would get inside. Good point to bring up!:thumb:
It's still in the 20's here in Iowa and summer seems a long way away!

Go silver or grey. White gets less heat, but shows black streaks like crazy. They don't wash off easily. My next one will be grey or red.

Color does play a big factor in cooling/heating. Make sure you have the walls and ceiling insulated whether or not you put AC in it. Also keep in mind that the darker color exterior you go with unless you upgrade to a thicker material will have a wavy/bent look to it where is secures to the studs.

We're about ready to purchase an enclosed trailer also. Never even took into consideration the color playing a factor of how hot it would get inside. Good point to bring up!:thumb:
It's still in the 20's here in Iowa and summer seems a long way away!

It's usually sunny and warm down here in Florida. I would really like the black color for a few reasons. I'm sure if it had a white roof it would help with the heat issue but not sure how much.

We've got a black trailer now and when I buy a new trailer it WILL NOT be black (even though I 100% prefer that color). The only reason is the heat. I'm running a 13.5 AC in a 7 x 16 enclosed that is mostly insulated, and unless you get to the site early in the day, the trailer is a sauna until after dark.

Once a black trailer is hot, the amount of thermal energy I'm trying to dump out of it takes forever with the A/C. Yes, it will start to cool it, but its built up too much on a 80+ degree day. Overnight, it'll have that thing like an icebox (into the 50's). The next day, as soon as the sun comes up, the temp starts to creep up until we're pushing 70's by mid-day.

Go with a light color if at all possible (or you're running two AC units)

I think that generally colors other than white add to the trailer cost. Also, I spend some time at the drag strips in the summer and there are VERY few trailers that aren't white.
Go silver or grey. White gets less heat, but shows black streaks like crazy. They don't wash off easily. My next one will be grey or red.
Could you clearcoat the aluminum trim to keep the black streaks at bay?

I think that generally colors other than white add to the trailer cost. Also, I spend some time at the drag strips in the summer and there are VERY few trailers that aren't white.

I don't think the trim is the issue. I think it's the dirt/grim buildup on the roof and when it rains it runs down the sides and stains.

We don't charge extra for the color of the exterior, only if we have to upgrade the thickness to get a certain color.

Mine is champagne color that Haulmark uses and it seems to stay fairly cool and in not cheep looking like the white ones you see everywhere. (No offense if you have a white one!:boxing:) It looks different than most others and has black trim on it.

Back