To wrap or not to wap

SimondsBBQ

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
To wrap or not to wrap. This is my question. I'm using a BWS that is putting plenty of steam into my 4 big butts. It's my first time smoking butts on the backwoods so I figured I get your ideas. Thanks.

Everyone has their preference. I personally never wrap anything. I have used a drip pan under meat to keep it from snuffing out the fire in my UDS. Cooking a couple butts hot n fast generates a virtual rain storm of drippings during the shortened stall period.

I've never wrapped a butt and they've always been fall apart tender and very moist.

Today i'm smoking a brisket and i'll wrap that for my first time.

I guess it's your preference. I too use a BWS and I don't wrap. Still tender and juicy!! Try for your self. Wrap 2 of them and see...

I wrapped my brisket in parchment for the first time today. Won't go back to foil.

Bacon sounds good actually:). Seems like there's some differences in opinion. I'll make it an experiment. Wrap 2 and let 2 ride. Thanks for the input.

Wrap one in foil, one in butcher paper, one in palm leaves and let 1 ride.......then report back with pics.

Wrapping Ribs and Butts can give you more control on the final product as you get closer to the end of your cook...
When my cook gets close to "done" I check the texture of the meat and determine what it needs...1 hour, 1/2 hour or let it ride...It goes along with idea of adjusting your cook time, temp and plan based on the many changing variables during the cook...

So to ask: Foil or Not? It depends on how the meat is cooking and the texture of it as it gets close to "done"...this needs to be assessed as you near the finish line...

...I think foil widens the "window of done-ness" with little downside...

Long story short...Foil..

Foil 2, leave to naked... you decide which you like better

I got a couple of little experiments going. Wrapped 2 and the others are soaking up the backwoods steam. I'm amazed at just how juicy the bark looks on the BWS. I love my BGE BUT........I think she"s getting jealous. I got 2 pork butts with yardboys rub, 1 with spicewine dust and 1 with mine. Not sure if it will make that much difference but we will see.

Great Q either way. It kind of depends on how your smoker runs and how much time you have and how you prefer your bark. Some folks will say their way is the ONLY way....stroke their egos

It may be different with other smokers but my BWS just seems to steam the meat to the point that wrapping is just not necessary. I would not says that in my egg. I really enjoyed the bark from the ones that did not get covered. Long story short... Won't wrap again unless its brisket. Thanks for the replies.

I did two in my BWS this weekend (first time!) and didn't use foil. They were great!

Back