Prime Brisket Help

Plowboy

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
I've got an 11 lb PRIME brisket aging for the Royal. I'm used to cooking CAB's, but never cooked a PRIME.

Anything different in how I need to care for this bad boy? It looks like a sweet hunk of meat. :mrgreen: Soft as a baby's bottom.

Yo Todd
You've been doing well enough not to need the advice, but we've been cooking prime dry aged briskets, and the best thing I can tell you is pull it off when it's tender. We pulled one at 172 a few weeks ago. It was done.
Beers to you!
Chris

I always use angus prime, dry aged. my scores dont show much because I guess I cannot cook!!! But you have a great piece of meat. Depending how long you age it, just make sure you trim it nice so there is no mold left on the outside, because you will taste that extra age if not trimmed properly. Good luck, you probably dont need it.

Double grind it, make a patty, season with salt and pepper, place in hot iron skillet, place slice of cheese on top and serve medium?

We cooked a 12# prime packer (that I found hiding with the choice's in Sams Club for $1.67/LB:shock:) at a comp a couple of weeks ago...I learned here that it may cook faster, It did cook faster but not substantially, maybe 45 min?? The biggest difference I noticed was when injecting it...It did not seem to want to hold the injection, ran out faster than I could put it in:confused: Perhaps something to do with more marbling? Cooked to perfection @ 195...good for 2nd.
Good luck at the Royal
Joe

Yo Todd
You've been doing well enough not to need the advice, but we've been cooking prime dry aged briskets, and the best thing I can tell you is pull it off when it's tender. We pulled one at 172 a few weeks ago. It was done.
Beers to you!
Chris

With only three weeks of age, this thing is so tender that I don't think it is going to take long.

Todd, if you don't want to take the risk on experimenting at the Royal just bring it on down to us and we'll swap it out for one of our CABs.:icon_devil

Todd, if you don't want to take the risk on experimenting at the Royal just bring it on down to us and we'll swap it out for one of our CABs.:icon_devil
I'll give you 3 Wally World Briskies for it. A seasoned pro like yourself would need a much bigger challenge.

I have a few I will trade you for that tough little grizzly thing.

Todd

cook at 325 for eight hours wrap and pull it a 211 internal.

I'll be over for chopped beef samich:-D

I've heard the judges prefer prime briskets rare so as not to cook all of the flavor out. I suggest you take it off the cooker at 125F internal and let rest before slicing. And garnish will just distract attention from such a beautiful piece of meat so make sure and submit the entry in a naked clamshell.

Double grind it, make a patty, season with salt and pepper, place in hot iron skillet, place slice of cheese on top and serve medium?

no boiling needed??

Curious, dont want to steal secrets, do you normally inject at competitions? Will you for this piece of meat?

If your prime is any thing like a Wagyu (and I think it is) you'll notice that it cooks a lot faster because of all the marbling. FYI...keep an eye on you temps and do not let her get over 200. I pulled my last one @ 180-185 and coolered for an hour...it was awesome

I've heard the judges prefer prime briskets rare so as not to cook all of the flavor out. I suggest you take it off the cooker at 125F internal and let rest before slicing. And garnish will just distract attention from such a beautiful piece of meat so make sure and submit the entry in a naked clamshell.

125? If he only cooks it to 100 or so, it will look like it has a smoke ring all the way through! Sweet app points!

And deep smoke rings look great on red tip

Back