Comp Users Of Backwoods And Similar Reverse Flow Cookers...

Q-Dat

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I'm curious how much wood folks are using. I put enough chips to last for the first 2-3 hours of the cook. It makes for a good end product as far as my tastebuds are concerned, but if anyone cares to share the amount that they use and in what form (chips, chunks, splits etc) I'd be interested to hear it.

Thanks.

First, ditch the chips and start using chunks. I usually put on about 4 good size chunks and maybe a few smaller chunks of a different type if I am mixing wood types

Depending on the quantity of meat in the cooker, I use 3-4 chunks. Don't use the bagged wood from Lowes or Home Depot, get the good stuff from Fruita Wood or somewhere comparable.

On all of my backwoods the amount will differ with the size of the cooker. I have a chubby all the way up to a comp hog. The gator and G-2 party which we use most of the time will use 4 to 5 chunks of good wood. We get ours from east coast and we do mix different woods depending on the product.

Trial and error will be your best bet. NO CHIPS though just good quality chunks.

Be Safe

THE DAWG

+ like 8 on finding a good wood distributor. Try to find someone local if you can so you can save on shipping costs which is where it can add up with wood.

Second, it will vary depending on what you are cooking. I find that I use 5-7 smaller splits for my big meats in my Fatboy since the wrapping and steaming process tends to reduce the amount of smoke flavor in the finished product. On smaller meats I use less. It is a trial and error method as mentioned above depending on what type of wood you are using, how and if you are mixing woods, and your personal preferences. If I'm using hickory (which I rarely do anymore) I use way less than if I am use pecan, etc.

I use a fruit wood and a nut wood on all my comp cooks in my Backwoods Competitor. get my wood chunks from fruita wood. I usually use 4-6 chunks depending on their size and place them on the bottom of the fire box tray scattered around. Then pour in a whole bag of Stubs or Wicked Good all natural briquettes on top leaving the front right corner open for several lit coals to start the fire.

chicken got no wood, just charcoal.
ribs, 1, 1/2 fist chunk each of hickory, cherry, apple. if smoke dies out after an hour another small trio for up to @ 2 hours or so total smoke.
pork, same as ribs, maybe a bit larger chunks.
brisket, hickory, oak, or pecan, with cherry. 1 chunk each at intervals as long as it takes for about 4 hours smoke total.
this is in a WSM, but quantities would be similar i would imagine in a backwoods.

Depends

I use a handful of chunks, the size of which depends on the meat and quantity I am smoking. I have a good old fashioned G1 Party.

I use wood from home depot, there is nothing wrong with it. I use 4 chunks and throw a chunk or two in the morning for ribs. I also mojo bricks, they work very well.

Any thoughts on the Western brand chunks? I've used them for years without issue, but I don't have the most sensitive taste buds.

Back