Fierce Competition in Florida BBQ Association

smokincracker

is one Smokin' Farker
With Florida BBQ Association Teams branching out and doing so well at KCBS events I felt this needed to be shared.

I watched an interview on www.championshipbbq.tv with Kevin from: www.homebbq.com.
I was impressed with the direct approach Kevin made concerning challenging specific KCBS competition teams that have referred to FBA competitions as minor league events.

In my opinion the FBA is one of the most up-coming dynamic BBQ organizations in the country. I would hope to see more KCBS teams give a FBA contest a try.
I have 5 KCBS and 6 FBA events scheduled for the end of 2006 and beginning of 2007. Check out the FBA and come see how fierce the competition is! www.flbbq.org

Thanks for setting them straight Kevin.

Check out the interview at this link:
http://www.championshipbbq.tv/HomeBBQ/HomeBBQ2.html

Thanks for finding that Jimmy.

As recently as last weekend at Ft. Rucker, I was reminded that KCBS cooks view FBA as the "Bush League". I kept my mouth shut, with difficulty. I agree with Kevin, "come on down and cook a couple".

My personal high moment here-I "dish washed" for Kevin at Starke last fall. That was the event where he did the "come from behind" to win TOTY. Kevin, always the gentleman, offered me a HomeBBQ shirt for the awards ceremony. I declined because any results were his- not mine. Still got my "15 seconds" in that film (3 seconds at a time) :lol: KEWL

Kevin is a great cook, a great human being, and a fine ambassador for BBQ.

TIM

BBQ contests are BBQ contests IMO. Granted I've never seen an FBA event but for anyone to call them "bush league" is ridiculous. I want to know what it is about KCBS that make that sanctioning body any less "bush league" that FBA.

I cooked with Kevin (HomeBBQ) at Ft Rucker and I know that there is a possible matchup between him and a Notable KCBS team that has been known to make the minor league statements about the FBA . It would be on one of those made for TV cookoffs between the two. I am keeping my fingers crossed that it happens.
Walt

Kevin is a great spokeman. He's a tough competitor and at the same time, a fantastic spokesman for competitive BBQ.

The FBA sanctions many events in Florida as well as Alabama, Georgia, and even Tennessee. It came about as a result of KCBS not being able to make inroads in Florida - to provide the number of events that Florida cooks wanted to compete in. Kevin, Mike, and others from Florida have competed very well in KCBS events. Whoever is the "mouth from the south" that made the "minor leagues" comment (and I'm pretty sure I know who it was), he needs to lighten up. I think it's a matter of him getting outpaced by FBA centric teams in his own state that has him feeling testy.

BBQ needs the multiple associations to continue to grow. FBA and other associations provide the local/regional influence to encourage promoters to get on board. KCBS, to this day, has only about 5 events in Florida. Florida is too big of a state to accept this few number of events. The FBA has filled the gap and at the same time is helping generate more teams that are successful at the national (ie. KCBS events in other states) level.

KCBS top-guns do not dominate FBA events. Yes, they win some and they should - these are top notch competitors. But to state that FBA events are minor league is foolish. If the quality of the events wasn't being upheld then we wouldn't see Johnny Trigg, J-Mack, Jack's Old South, and other top-tier teams making the trip to Florida in the winter. Not only that, they would, naturally, dominate the contests - that does not happen!

Let's face it - the only three differences noticeable between KCBS and FBA are: 8 pieces in the box vs. 6, 1 hour between turn-ins, and no garnish in the boxes. The quality of the product is the same - the judge's training is very, very similar.

So, bottom line: Kevin spoke the truth. I've rarely heard FBA competitors slamming KCBS - we seek opportunities to compete at KCBS events to test ourselves and meet and compete against the best BBQ cooks in the country.

Oh yeah, wasn't it great having Tim in the front row with the Brethren hat? :-D

Excellent interview!! Let this MoFo go on record as saying that I have never considered you as a minor league....you guys are hellatious cooks...and I think I would welcome the no garnish and the hour between turn ins, except on the days that it's hovering around 100* outside, then I want 15 minute tuen in windows so I can get in the A/C!! :wink:

Well, if the time ever comes up for Kevin to do a compete aaginst the other unamed individual or Team.......

I'll put a Hundred down on Kevin to win. Easy money. I only hope the person making the odds is a KCBS rep so I'll get a good return on my money.

Wow!

Just to be sure there is no misunderstanding, it's not me he's talking about.

One other thing, Trigg has never cooked an FBA contest that I know of.

drbbq said:
Wow!

Are you sure it's not you ? Sounds like something you might say...

Good point. Let me change that to I'm pretty sure it's not me.

I might be wrong about Trigg too.

drbbq said:
Wow!

No, Ray, it wasn't you!!

I misspoke about Senor Trigg - I was remembering the Plant City KCBS cook off in 2004 - he makes the trip to FL but he hasn't done FBA...sorry. Not that he wouldn't be welcome!!

Hi Dave,
Unfortunately there are a lot of teams that come to Florida for Plant City and Lakeland but never come for an FBA contest. I think it's nonsense to blame Byron when it seems obvious that many teams think the same thing.

Based on this thread there seems to be a lot more venom coming from the FBA supporters than from the KCBS supporters. I don't remember anyone at a KCBS contest ever bringing it up.

I was a founding member of the FBA and I know the stories. The love for all BBQ teams ended long ago. Hopefully Kevin will be the new President and the animosity can be reversed.

I was just rereading this thread and realized that we are talking about two different things.

The thought that the FBA cookoffs are minor leaque really isn't tha same as saying Kevin can't cook. Nobody has said that but the thread seems to have assumed it. I'd say that most of the KCBS cooks think Kevin is a very good cook.

Ray

How did I know you would chime in on this one!
I can't say I have ever heard Dr. Ray make any negative remarks about any FBA COOKS besides me that is.  Concerning some discussions I have had with you and the Firehouse crew relating to obvious issues with lack of sponsors and prize money issues is another subject all together.

I have to disagree with the venom comment.
I skimmed thru the thread again and I don’t find it.

As a founding member and an ambassador to the sport of competition BBQ I hope to see Dr BBQ at some more FBA events. I would love to see some more KCBS contests come south as well. I cooked all the KCBS events that came to FL last year and enjoyed everyone. I look forward to any opportunity to beat the Doc.

As far as Kevin's interview:
I think it is apparent that he supports and wants to promote the FBA. I think Kevin has a good overview of what is needed to make a good contest and willing to give up enough time to make the organization run smooth. Obviously as you and I agree I think a change in the FBA management is needed.

PS cool sausage burger.

Maybe I chimed in because I live in Florida, I'm an old member of both organizations and I spend my life promoting BBQ.

I consider myself an FBA cook and a KCBS cook. I'm also a WBBQA, WBQA, NEBS, CASI and ICS cook. When the Mosquito County thing happens I'll cook their contests too and I've even cooked in MIM. Oh yeah, I cook at Smokin' on the Square too.

Maybe if the FBA TOTY used your top five contests like KCBS some traveling teams would be interested. But that's always been a tool to strongarm the teams in the running to attend every FBA contest. So it'll always be an FBA "regular" that wins. If KCBS did it that way Homebbq.com would never have been able to be a top 10 KCBS team no matter how good of a cook he is.

Relax

drbbq said:
Maybe I chimed in because I live in Florida, I'm an old member of both organizations and I spend my life promoting BBQ.

I consider myself an FBA cook and a KCBS cook. I'm also a WBBQA, WBQA, NEBS, CASI and ICS cook. When the Mosquito County thing happens I'll cook their contests too and I've even cooked in MIM. Oh yeah, I cook at Smokin' on the Square too.

Maybe if the FBA TOTY used your top five contests like KCBS some traveling teams would be interested. But that's always been a tool to strongarm the teams in the running to attend every FBA contest. So it'll always be an FBA "regular" that wins. If KCBS did it that way Homebbq.com would never have been able to be a top 10 KCBS team no matter how good of a cook he is.

Relax about the Chiming in comment it was meant to be a playful comment.
I am obviously not disputing your credentials or your roots here in Florida.
(A long way from being a cracker but a Floridian no the less)

Good point concerning the TOTY
That is one of the things I would like to see changed in the FBA as the number of contests increase I would like to see a championship series of contests perhaps 5 or 6 of the larger contests. After I won the grand at Clermont I was in the running but after taking the summer off no chance.
Perhaps we will get a chance to work on some of these issues together in the future.
Just got my official FBA Election Ballot in the mail today!!!

I hope we can cross paths
Current Schedule 2006 / 2007
8/25-26 KCBS Birmingham, AL
9/22-23 KCBS Grant, FL
10/20-21 FBA Brooksville, FL
10/27-28 FBA Kissimmee, FL
11/10-11 KCBS Key Largo, FL
11/17-18 KCBS Plant City, FL
1/05-06 FBA Sebring, FL
1/26-27 KCBS Lakeland, FL
2/02-03 FBA Wauchula, FL
2/09-10 FBA Winter Haven, FL (FBA State Champ)
3/02-03 FBA Okeechobee, FL

In the early days I was a welcome contributor to the FBA and I hope to be again some day.

I'm on the road until Key Largo but I'll see you there, in Plant City, maybe Sebring and Lakeland. I'm not sure after that. We'll tip one at the beach.

Back