Snake River Farms

Wrench_H

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've been wanting to try a wagyu brisket for a while to see if they are different enough to spend the money on one for a competition. Well today, my wife gave me a gift card to SNR for my birthday. Now that I'm on there, I see that they also have a Kurobuta shoulder. Any suggestions as to which one I should try first?

Last edited:
Wow, you are a lucky person. I have ordered from them in the past and have a brisket and a pork rib roast from them in the freezer. I would go with the brisket first. Mainly because I want to see how you feel about it before I do mine.
For Christmas we did their ham. That was hands down the best ham we have ever had. And I have ordered ham from many companies across the US.:thumb:

hands down the brisket, major difference in flavor, texture, and tenderness...the pork has a more fatty taste to the meat...kind of tastes like how pork use to taste before we started breeding leaner pigs. it tastes great but i don't know if it is that much of a difference to spend that much money on a pork butt or shoulder for a comp.
here are some characteristics of the berkshire pig if it helps at all

Pork Traits

• Naturally more marbling than ordinary hogs
  • Good texture, flavor, tender and juicy
  • Darker color of meat (4-5 scale)
  • Consistent in breed and eating experience.

• Raised in United States for more than 150 years
  • Commonly called the “black pig” and “Kuro Buta”
  • Known as a heritage or an heirloom breed

Last edited:
Absolutely agree on the brisket - you can't go wrong.

However, don't ever buy the "championship" spare ribs from SRF. I added a rack to my last order and they were terrible on all accounts: incredibly small, awkward shape, very thin. I'm not sure what they are going for with those, but I wouldn't have bought them for $4, let alone $24!

Looks like I'll be ordering a brisket this afternoon, thanks for all the advice everyone.

now hold on a sec....and hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

i've read MANY posts discussing the merit of wagyu in competition.

very few saw the benefit, but in this thread it's opposite.

has a cat been let out of the bag?:becky:

We've tried Wagyu and Kobi, and have had just as much success with CAB. So I have a hard time justifying the cost difference. If you cook it right, you can win with either. But some teams (and classes, I've heard) say you are wasting your time if you don't use them.

now hold on a sec....and hope this isn't too much of a hijack.

i've read MANY posts discussing the merit of wagyu in competition.

very few saw the benefit, but in this thread it's opposite.

has a cat been let out of the bag?:becky:

We cooked our first 4 contest with SRF briskets and got a call in 3 of them 7th, 5th, 2nd. We switched over to a real good CAB because of price increases and won brisket 3 times in a row. The SRF products are good but you can still do just fine with CAB. Wagyu is not a magical piece of meat that is going to propel somebody to the top.

+1 Brisket. I would email them prior to order though and let them know you are looking for a brisket worthy of competition. I received one for a birthday present and thought my wife was gonna cry when she saw it. The Flat was 1/2" thick on one side and barely an 1" thick on the other. Wasn't anyway possible to get decent slices for a turn-in so i had to head to the store a day before my competition to find a brisket. I will say though that their customer service was great. After they viewed pictures of the brisket, they apologized and sent another one ahead of my next competition. They are good folks!

I would go with brisket too, although I love kurobuta pork, the extra fat in the shoulder does not translate, at least for me, to a better pulled pork product. The flavor is different, but, again, you can buy many local hogs and find a similar difference for less cost. Wagyu brisket is another thing, it is quite different from other briskets. I would not, most of the SRF stuff is crossed to Angus, as such, there are similarities there too.

I've never cooked an SRF brisket, but I once sampled on that someone farked up!.

Back