• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

BBQ Guru Party Q

Demmo

Got Wood.
Reaction score
I am thinking about pulling the trigger on a Party Q tonight. Does anyone have know of anything I should consider before I do this. I will be using it on a Weber kettle with smokenator and eventually a WSM. Thanks is advance for your input.

I have that and the Pitmaster IQ. The PartyQ is good except remember it doesn't have the technology to sense when you lift the lid so unless you shut it off you'll over shoot the temp. Other than that i love it.

The IQ is the same price and the IQ 120 are some to consider.

I have the exact same setup and I love it. In addition to drilling a hole for the fan unit, I also drilled a small hole close to it to run the temp probe through. Put a piece of duct tape over where you want to drill to make it a little easier. I love that the partyq is battery powered so you don't need to find an outlet to plug it in.

I have the exact same setup and I love it. In addition to drilling a hole for the fan unit, I also drilled a small hole close to it to run the temp probe through. Put a piece of duct tape over where you want to drill to make it a little easier. I love that the partyq is battery powered so you don't need to find an outlet to plug it in.

Where in your kettle did you drill your hole for the PartyQ?

I already have a small hole I made in my kettle to run my temperature probes for my Maverick through so I am good to go on the temp probe.

It's probably about halfway between where I put the smokenator and the other side of the kettle. In other words, if the smokenator was a straight line connecting the 10 and 2 on a clock, the partyq would be at about the 8'oclock mark.

It's probably about halfway between where I put the smokenator and the other side of the kettle. In other words, if the smokenator was a straight line connecting the 10 and 2 on a clock, the partyq would be at about the 8'oclock mark.

About how high up(above or below the charcoal grate) in the grill did you make the hole?

Last questions for you. Do you still use the water pan in your smokenator with this setup? How do you set your top vent?

Thanks

I love my Party Q and its battery operation over my Digi Q with its power cord. I recommend getting some rechargeables, they last me through entire butt and brisket cooks and I just swap them before a cook. That being said, the more airtight the smoker, the better the Q does. I use mine on my two Weber kettles but with the One Touch ash catcher they leak a lot of air in. I put strip magnets over the ash carcher intakes and it helps the Q a lot on the kettles.

My team mate uses his Party Q with a WSM and he loves it. He does have to spend some time sealing up the air leaks but he gets to temp easier and gets longer burns with it.

I love my Party Q and its battery operation over my Digi Q with its power cord. I recommend getting some rechargeables, they last me through entire butt and brisket cooks and I just swap them before a cook. That being said, the more airtight the smoker, the better the Q does. I use mine on my two Weber kettles but with the One Touch ash catcher they leak a lot of air in. I put strip magnets over the ash carcher intakes and it helps the Q a lot on the kettles.

Nice idea with the magnets. I am going to have to use that one. I have been trying to figure out a reusable way of sealing the intakes.

Thanks to everyone for all the information. I ordered a PartyQ last night and can not wait to get it.

I've attached pics of the holes. It's about midway between the charcoal grate and the cooking grate. As for the water pan, I bought a bigger one (something like an aluminum bread/loaf pan) and place it on top of the cooking grate, right above the smokenator. That way I can load more coals into the smokenator for a longer cook. The only annoying thing about that is that whenever I need to load more coals, I have to carefully remove the water pan w/o spilling any.

Attachments

• 2013-08-27 20.32.57.jpg
    2013-08-27 20.32.57.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 173
  • 2013-08-27 20.33.34.jpg
    2013-08-27 20.33.34.jpg
    35 KB · Views: 169
  • 2013-08-27 20.29.19.jpg
    2013-08-27 20.29.19.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 167
Thanks Pc132. I just scored a few year old One Touch Platinum off of CL and I do not want to screw up the location of the holes when I drill them because the OTP is like brand new.

To add to the posts about air flow, I use binder clips to clamp the lid down.
Great idea on magnetic strips for near the ash catcher. Where'd you buy the strips?

Back