New smoker recommendations

Take a look at Spicewine , located in Columbia Mo . Great quality and results...

Wanna do it "real man style" huh? For me, that starts with a FIRE and a FIREBOX - not with charcoal and a charcoal chute.

I'm not saying the BBQ isn't great from a vertical feed - it's delicious! But, does the actual cooking process interest you at all? Do you want to pour a chute full of charcoal and go back in the house for 10 hours and that's your "day of smoking"?

If that's what you want, then yes, get you a vertical smoker.

If you want to be more hands on, cook with split wood, stoke a fire, and enjoy a live firepit, then look at the MANY choices you have in stick burners. Most are made from 1/4" steel and the cold won't even phase 'em.

Most are made from 1/4" steel and the cold won't even phase 'em.

Then just curious- what is the point of the "insulated" firebox on many models?

I really like offsets, and almost bought one a few months back, but they just seem to require too much TLC (well, the offset/rf doesn't, but the fire inside it does). I just don't have time often enough to spend that much time tending to it. I'll probably get one eventually, but it won't be my next purchase.

My journey took me all over low and slow BBQ and started with an electric Brinkman. Many years and MANY dollars later, I have realized that there is nothing better that meat cooked over a wood fire.

My trusty old Oklahoma Joe waited patiently while I cycled through Brinkmans, a Smokin Tex electric, A vertical feed Stumps Stretch and a couple of Webers. In the end I realized that there was nothing better than burning sticks. :biggrin1:

Back