Another how many butts questions...with a twist.

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
So I am going to cook pulled pork for my Cub Scout pack in a couple weeks. There will be 100-120 people, **BUT** a lot of that will be kids. Any good rule of thumb for figuring portions based on that information?

Also, to throw another wrench into things, I am thinking of doing briskets too so folks will have a little variety to choose from.

Any input is most appreciated!

For a group consisting of a lot of women and children, I usually go with a quarter pound per person. Remember, this is more meat than what you find on your typical 1/4 lb burger...since that weight is figured prior to cooking and we are dealing with actual serving weight. So if you have 120 people, figure 30 lbs of pulled pork... and I usually add ~ 10% (3 lbs) but say 5 lbs to keep the math easy and on the safe side...
So you will need to start out with 70 lbs of pork butt (pork butt and brisket typically loses 50% of its weight when trimming and cooking).
If you want to mix it up with some brisket, just go with that 70 lb number and work the ratios... 1/2 brisket, 1/2 pulled pork...you will need 35 lbs raw brisket and 35 lbs pork butt to start with...
Not sure about your area, but here in KS, brisket always goes first...so be prepared. When doing parties for 100 people (adults), I usually do four 15 lb briskets and two 10 lb butts yielding 30 lbs brisket and 10 lbs pulled pork and there is always pulled pork left over but never any brisket.
Hope this helps and good luck!

Is this a buffet style or someone serving? If buffet style you might consider cooking a little more. Instead of brisket what about chicken quarters?

We'll be serving. I just kind of liked the idea of pork and beef options for making sandwiches mostly. I'm sure chicken would cost less though.

Jason,

About 4ounces per person is plenty for kids. You'll lose about 35% from precooked to cooked weight. So, figure about 6 ounces precooked. 6 ounces X 120 kids = 720 ounces precooked which is about 45 pounds. Add a bit extra to be safe. See you Wednesday!

I'm trying to figure out how everyone gets more yield from butts than I do? The best I can yield is about 50%. I do pull it by hand and pick out as much fat as I can but that is about it for me.

One case which is 8 butts should be enough. I agree with everyone. It does seem that 4 ounces is a good rule of thumb. Four ounces of pulled pork is actually a nice size serving. What sides are you going to serve with the meat? Just curious..

One case which is 8 butts should be enough. I agree with everyone. It does seem that 4 ounces is a good rule of thumb. Four ounces of pulled pork is actually a nice size serving. What sides are you going to serve with the meat? Just curious..

Everyone is supposed to be bringing a "BBQ appropriate" side so we shall see. There should be a LOT of sides.

I'm just responsible for the meat.

May I offer a piece of unsolicited advice on the beef end of this... If you're just gonna make sammiches with it, use chuck roast instead of brisket. MY experience is that it costs a lot less and is much easier to cook.

May I offer a piece of unsolicited advice on the beef end of this... If you're just gonna make sammiches with it, use chuck roast instead of brisket. MY experience is that it costs a lot less and is much easier to cook.

Thanks for the advice.

I actually want to offer both options to them. Plus, there is a little selfish motivation here in that I want to "practice" some brisket again with an eye towards future competitions. :)

Back