is One Chatty Farker
Reaction score
Any feedback on the 2008 NEBS grilling rules? Good or bad? See attached

I have cooked in every grilling contest at every contest for years

I do not like the NEBS griiling rules,

Attachments

• NEBS_grilling_rules_2008.pdf
    45.8 KB · Views: 16
I also have cooked in many a NEBS grilling contest, the rules have always worked just fine by me. I favor open garnish though,:-D

They seemed to work just great this past spring at the Smoke n steam contest in Oyster Bay. The oyster category was open garnish

I also have cooked in many a NEBS grilling contest, the rules have always worked just fine by me. I favor open garnish though,:-D

Right. That's the organizers call and completely legal under the rules if the organizer wants to run it that way.

Right. That's the organizers call and completely legal under the rules if the organizer wants to run it that way.

I'd like to see more organizers allow it. It let's the cooks be a bit more creative not just in the presentation but what is presented.

uh, that is not exactly what I said...

but the point is I like stuffing, chunky sauces, mixing stuff up and generally being a little more creative than a glazed pork chop on a bed of parsley...

that was just asn example kids...don't go nuts here...!!!<G>
having said that we do better with the glazed pork chope than...

nancee

Any feedback on the 2008 NEBS grilling rules? Good or bad? See attached

but the point is I like stuffing, chunky sauces, mixing stuff up and generally being a little more creative than a glazed pork chop on a bed of parsley...

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

OMG.. someone farking kill me now.

If the contest organizer chooses the open garnish option in the nebs rules you can stuff, chunk and mix to your hearts content.

nancee

nancee

So really you're more dissapointed with the category choices from organizers than with actual rules...

I can agree with that. I have a list a page long of categories I'd like to see... I'm certainly sick of the repetitive pork chop, fish and steak contest... (although feel free to keep steak, we're actually consistant in that one).

nancee
Jeez nancee I would of never thought of you wanting to do something that is "outside the box" and different. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: This is a quote by you "I don't understand the concept of throwing the NEBS/KCBS outline in the trash and doing this bastardization of KCBS/MIM rules for grilling at Sayville..."

Im confused on which way you are leaning, change or no change? make up your mind

There are open cooking comps out there that will allow you to be more creative. BBQ and grilling comps are not your only option. It's your option and right to do something or not. If you don't like the rules, I would say don't do it or maybe run your own comp the way you like. This is not something to get so worked up about, looks like it will be a great event and the rules are the rules, it's a fair playing field for everyone.

This isn't the Sayville thread so it's ok for people to ask questions and state their opinions. We're in a review period for the NEBS grilling rules and any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I promise we won't even Whine about it.

This isn't the Sayville thread so it's ok for people to ask questions and state their opinions. We're in a review period for the NEBS grilling rules and any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated. I promise we won't even Whine about it.

Sorry, just suprises me about the carry on. But anyway, as I said rules are rules and it is a fair playing field for everyone. Opinions are like a$$ holes everyone has one!:grin: Whatever the rules and categories are we need to live with them. I like the NEBS rules, they are simple and to the point. I haven't done a lot but have looked at the rules for you guys and it seems fair.

We're in a review period for the NEBS grilling rules and any and all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

I think the NEBS Rules are perfect. Rules that are consistant but allowed to be amended are the place to start for all grilling contests.

I just would like to see organizers make, ask, create, whatever ... exemptions of those rules because as I stated above it gives the cooks options on what we can present to the judges above and beyond the "how" we present.

A recent promoter of contests while loose with a lot of things brought out a lot of catagories that were fun. I'd like to see NEBS encourage that sort of boundry pushing in Grilling.

Thats what I find to be aggravating about the rules..........I think that they are less NEBS rules than they are each organizers rules.

I really like how the garnishes are defined in the rules and would like to see a glossary of terms that would standardize many of the things that seem to be asked over and over at each cook's meeting. For instance, if we had a standard written definition of what a sausage is, what constitutes fish, what is a steak and so on. I understand that NEBS likes to allow some flexiblity so each contest can be unique, but what about a set list (menu?) of say 6-12 well defined and standardized categories that an organizer could choose 4 from.

I would also like to see more traditional regional styles of cooking, baked beans for example i think should be a staple @ a contest sanctioned by a New England BBQ society.

Back