Made a pot of Big Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili yesterday.........

Wampus

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
......and it was farkin GOOOOOOOOOOD.

That's all I have.

No pics.
No pRon.

But I DO have leftovers!! :heh::thumb:

this post is worthless without pics...just sayin'...dead horse...

Well......since you asked......:roll:

Wampus's Big Boy Brisket Chili

Ingredients

• 2 lbs smoked brisket point meat, fat trimmed and cubed to about 3/4" (I usually just use the meat from 1 point, but it ends up about 2 lbs +/-)
  • 2 pounds COURSE ground beef chuck (ask your local meat department for "chili" or "course" grind. It's when they run it through the larger plate only)
  • 1 pound bulk pork sausage (NOT Italian)
  • 3 (15 ounce) cans mild chili beans, drained
  • 1 (15 ounce) can spicy chili beans
  • 2 (28 ounce) cans diced tomatoes with juice
  • 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
  • 1 large yellow onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks celery, chopped
  • 1 green bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped
  • 1 jalepeno, seeded and deveined (or another pepper of your choice)
  • 1 tablespoon bacon bits
  • 4 cubes beef bouillon
  • 1 bottle of dark beer
  • 1/4 cup chili powder
  • 1 tablespoon worcestershire sauce
  • 2 tablespoons minced garlic (about 3 med or 2 large cloves)
  • 1 tablespoon dried oregano
  • 2 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons Tobasco or other hot pepper sauce of your choice
  • 1 teaspoon dried basil
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • 1 teaspoon paprika
  • 1 teaspoon white sugar

OPTIONAL for serving
  • 1 (10.5 ounce) bag corn chips such as Fritos (optional for serving)
  • 1 (8 ounce) package shredded Cheddar cheese (optional for serving)
  • Sour cream (optional for serving)

Directions

1. Heat a large stock pot over medium-high heat. Crumble the ground chuck and sausage into the hot pan, and cook until evenly browned. Drain off excess grease.
  2. Add EVERYTHING but the brisket. Stir to blend, then cover and simmer over low heat for at least 2 hours, stirring occasionally.
  3. After 2 hours, taste, and adjust salt, pepper, and chili powder if necessary. The longer the chili simmers, the better it will taste. I usually slow cook it for AT LEAST 3 hours. Add in brisket meat at VERY END to warm through only (usually last 1/2 hour will do it). If brisket is added too soon, it will crumble and fall apart.
  4. To serve, ladle into bowls, and top with corn chips, shredded cheddar cheese and a dollop of sour cream.
This chili was developed from another recipe that I tweaked here and there enough to call it mine. It's not a HOT chili, but it does have a good amount of back end heat. If you like it hotter, you could leave in the pepper seeds and veins, but my family loves it this way and they don't do HOT, so it's just right for us. My mom even loves it and she is NOT a spicy food person. My 5 year old daughter ate a whole bowl last night. I think it's got a great balance.

I entered this in a chili cookoff last year at our church and although it didn't win, I got a LOT of folks that came back for 2nds and 3rds and loved it. As with any brisket chili, the smoked brisket point meat really adds a GREAT smoky flavor to this chili. It's really surprising how much smoke the meat adds. Yesterday, even the smell in the house changed when I added in the brisket.

You might wanna double check that recipe - I see beans on the ingredient list. :twisted:

Of course I'm gonna try it. If it's even half as good as the Award Winning Peach Bourbon Baked Beans, it'll farking rock! :rockon:

And Fritos? Ubetchurazz! :thumb:

But I think I'm gonna wait until it gets cold, like below 90, to make some chili.

You might wanna double check that recipe - I see beans on the ingredient list. :twisted:

This is INDIANA.
We have beans in our chili. :boxing:

Heck.....I USED to put noodles in my chili. :roll:

Glad you liked the beans Greg. This chili recipe AND those beans will be on the menu at the restaurant one day if things go as planned. :thumb:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
This is INDIANA.

Glad you liked the beans Greg. This chili recipe AND those beans will be on the menu at the restaurant one day if things go as planned. :thumb:

...Northern Indiana here and the beans are not in chili... But they are in Chili!:twitch:

This is INDIANA.

What resturant is this?

Back