Organizers competing

Pappy Q

is Blowin Smoke!
Reaction score
I've noticed several contest that are organized by a Team and that Team competes in the contest. Is that a normal occurance?

Don't know about KCBS or other bodies, but prohibited by the FBA.

From the FBA sanctioning rules:

"Contest organizer(s) may not cook as part of a cook team nor judge at their contest."

TIM

I believe there were some posts a while ago that the organizer is not allowed to cook and organize the contest. I don't think that means the organizers team can't cook without him(her).

That is correct. KCBS policy is that if a member of a team is acting as organizer, he cannot be involved with cooking any entries for anyone. Back when I ran the old Georgia Barbecue Classic, my team entered the competition, but I did not participate in any way with the preparation of their entries. In fact, just to avoid even the appearance of any favoritism I avoided my team as much as possible during the event, to the extent that they received less attention than any of the other cook teams that weekend.

At the contest this weekend in Euharlee, we took it a step further and the Johnny Mitchell's Smokehouse team did not enter, even though the event was just across the street from our restaurant. Personally, I can't imagine why anyone would attempt to act as organizer and competitor at the same time, as both roles require your entire attention and energy. To attempt to do both at once is to guarantee failure at both.

I never understood what the problem was about an organizer competing. If the KCBS reps at the contest are in charge of the cooking part of the contest then there shouldn't be any problems. Reps are paid to make sure that all rules are followed, so there shouldn't be any problem. I would think that contest organizers competing has less a chance of cheating ( which is what all these questions usually lead to) then any competitor using pork collar, parting pork, yada, yada, yada.

There isn't a problem - unless the organizer wins money. When that happens, a crap-storm ensues, guaranteed.

yep. If I ever organized a contest (which is very possible in the future) I wouldn't compete just because its not worth the headache if I do manage to do well. Its one contest. Just sit it out and spare yourself the drama. I couldn't imagine being able to concentrate on running a contest smoothly AND worrying about my food. One of the two is going to suffer.

My wife, who IS NOT part of my team helped on the contest committee here in Washington MO. She was advised by the rep's to quit the committee prior to the event starting. She resigned, lo and behold I won the contest 2 years in a row WITHOUT her help in any manner. There were still grumblings. Human nature to suspect the worse I suppose.

My wife, who IS NOT part of my team helped on the contest committee here in Washington MO. She was advised by the rep's to quit the committee prior to the event starting. She resigned, lo and behold I won the contest 2 years in a row WITHOUT her help in any manner. There were still grumblings. Human nature to suspect the worse I suppose.

If they're not in the judging area, who cares. She didn't cook. She wasn't involved the day of event, right?

I said it before...fark 'em!

I have organized a couple of small comps (less than 10 entries each) at E-town and Cecil Dragways during a couple of their bigger events and I did cook in each one. These were far from a KCBS affair (more for bragging rights really) but we did adopt their scoring system. I can understand why this shouldn't happen at a real comp but nobody had a problem with it when we did it.

I picked the judges but they were approved by everyone involved. I printed up scoresheets and made sure that the contests and judges understood them clearly before we started. I kept everything on the up and up and it turned out ok.

The best part was the trophy girl we had. I guarantee you, the KCBS never had anything like her, LOL!

If they're not in the judging area, who cares. She didn't cook. She wasn't involved the day of event, right?h

I said it before...fark 'em!

She actually helped another team that finished waaaaay deep in the field. She has no idea what I do at contests. She runs our catering business which is a completely different animal. I could care less what "they" think.

I don't see how its even possible. On the day of the events I'm am non stop tending to teams, crowds, vendors, staff, etc, there is absolutely no way there's any time to be prepping or cooking. Impossible... An if and organizer is, then something is going to suffer. That being said, if someone with a big S on their chest can pull it off the double blind and contest reps should ensure contest integrity. If someone questions it then they are really questioning the integrity of the reps and the system.

You also won all the other contests in the area the past two years...so maybe it's your meat and not Trish? :grin:

You mean she's not gonna nag you all night right :grin:.

Missed you this weekend, but then again, Alaska over 100F on black top...yeah, I can understand that!!!

An if and organizer is, then something is going to suffer...
That's why I finished 2nd to last the first time I tried it. It was a nightmare. I did a couple more and decided it wasn't a good idea.

Back