Sponsorships for your teams...

Jeff_in_KC

somebody shut me the fark up.
Reaction score
We've discussed the how's and why's before but what kind of ideas do you all have for 2006 as far as obtaining sponsors? I'm attaching a draft of a flyer I just completed (been thinking about how to do it for weeks). What are your thoughts on doing things this way? And if you like the ideas or they give you some off-shoot ideas, feel free to take it and use it (except for the logo of course!).

Last edited:
Does the sponsor dinner occur at competition? having to feeding an extra 20 people would be a hassle I wouldn't want to take on at a contest. Extra people hanging around, expecting to be entertained is just asking for trouble.

Maybe you could have a sponsor's night party before the season begins and another one when the season ends.

BrooklynQ said:
Does the sponsor dinner occur at competition? having to feeding an extra 20 people would be a hassle I wouldn't want to take on at a contest. Extra people hanging around, expecting to be entertained is just asking for trouble.

Maybe you could have a sponsor's night party before the season begins and another one when the season ends.

That's a GREAT idea, Rob! I think that will be something I run by my two team members. Thanks!

At a event you do have alot of extra meat I have seen the sponser enjoy eating but little more he did get great seats to watch everything

I am with Rob on this one. If you have ever cooked a contest you know that it is controlled chaos. You sometimes have much to do and simply have not enough time to do it. Most of the biggies in our sport indicate that the details can be the difference at an event. It would be tuff to concentrate on those details when entertaining sponsors.

GitUrDone said:
At a event you do have alot of extra meat I have seen the sponser enjoy eating but little more he did get great seats to watch everything

Sure, there's always extra meat, but if you read the sponsors agreement, there could be an extra 45 people hanging around. Now the sponsor's given his money and is expecting to be fed, lauded and entertained at the "Sponsor's dinner'. Having to do this when you're supposed to be concentrating on cooking perfect the BBQ, to me, would be an insane burden. I say it's better to do this at a seperate event.

What I'd do, and this is what I tell my friends and family, is tell the sponsor that they're free to stop in after turn-in and stay for the awards. There's plenty of time to feed them while waiting on the judges.

BrooklynQ said:
Sure, there's always extra meat, but if you read the sponsors agreement, there could be an extra 45 people hanging around. Now the sponsor's given his money and is expecting to be fed, lauded and entertained at the "Sponsor's dinner'. Having to do this when you're supposed to be concentrating on cooking perfect the BBQ, to me, would be an insane burden. I say it's better to do this at a seperate event.

What I'd do, and this is what I tell my friends and family, is tell the sponsor that they're free to stop in after turn-in and stay for the awards. There's plenty of time to feed them while waiting on the judges.

My only problem with this is that as soon as I bturn in my last item, I'm busting arse tyo break down, clean up and load! I barely have time to get it all done before the awards start...

BrooklynQ said:

What are you doing after the last turn in?

We usually take a little time to recover. Then the breakdown starts. If friends and family are there - they get put to work!

I couldn't imagine starting to break everything down right after turn in. We consider that time our "enjoy the moment" time. We rest, drink, eat, mingle with friends family and the public. We save the cleanup for after the awards.

Been Lucky I guess We have stayed Sat. Nights pack and go Sunday am

I like to relax right after turn in also. THis is usually when I have my first beer. With any luck there are some family and friends there to start cleaning up.

One thought is if the sponsors are there to eat up all the left overs, maybe they will pitch in and help with cleanup just for the heck of it.

I'm really hoping to streamline my process for 2006 so I don't have to rush to tear everything down so quickly. Seems, however, that most teams I've been around are ready to get the heck outta Dodge after the last turn-in and get to breaking down ASAP. If I streamline my processes (and only have one cooker to clean up as opposed to three), I can enjoy a little rest time after turn-in.

But anyway, back to sponsors, there are a couple of good suggestions above that I believe I can incorporate into my info sheet. I want to finalize what I want to do as soon as I can so that I can start looking for sponsors after the holidays.

If we do well this year I will very seriously consider a consession trailer just because of the reason you mention....to streamline things. All I need in it is a couple of cabinets, a stainless steel Prep table and the three sinks. It would make it easy just to wash the cooking tools, put them away, take down the canopy's and we are out of there. If in the future, if I get a spicewine, I can roll it into and out of the trailer.

i didnt read the whole thread, so this may have been covered... but aint no way I'd be feeding 20 people the night of the competition.. Forget the distration it will be, forget the time it will take, forget the people running around, I'd just be to damn tired after entertaining to be up all night cooking and be fresh for 5AM if i can squeeze in 1n hour or 2 of sleep.. its a bad idea.. have a sponsers dinner, get them all together once or twice thru the season, and maybe allow them in the tent friday night. but a party.. no way i'd do that.

Yep Phil, a sponsor dinner at a non-contest time was suggested to me and I like the idea a lot. A lot less stress for that AND I could figure to be able to enjoy it some too.

Jeff, I guess i have a different take on sponsorship. I know of a team that has sponsorships like you are looking at and they work there butt of for the money. At a contest when the sponsors show up they are wined and dined and this team has a large MIM setup. I think if someone gave you some serious cash they may want more as a return on investment. Even if you have a pre-season party what happens if they show up at a contest (at a inopportune time) with costumers. They may want a meal.

This is how I finance my team. Last year we cooked 8 contests, I paid for five and some of my teammates paid for three. I paid for all meat, except a brother gets chicken sometimes. They bring everything they are going to eat and drink. I keep all the winnings and dabble in a little catering to help out.

I take the leftover meat and barter with it. My meat man sells me full cases of meat for his cost. I have tee shirts and banners printed. For a slab of ribs I get to use a log splitter. There is a local embroider that wants to get on the leftover list, at a contest he did a dozen hats and brought them to me.

I know it's not much but I'm not indebted to anyone to do anything for anyone. Most on my leftover list tell me at the end of the season that I took advantage of them with all the Q I brought them.

Rich Decker

I'm with Rich,
I pay for comps with earnings from small catering jobs. That way I don't owe anyone and it costs me nothing but a little smoking time which I love to do anyway.
I think getting sponsors is a great idea if you want those people expecting something for their investment, which is exactly what they are wanting when they give you money.
That's just me, and I ain't nobody.
Smoke On!!!!!!!
ed

I Ol' dog
Harley in my shop
Smoke On!!!!!!!
www.kickassbbq.com

In the words of a really top level competitor, "Whoever writes the checks owns you!"

My son in law manages a Good Year tire dealership with a decent advertising budget. His wife (my daughter) works for a major hog producer, major as in thousands of head to market per month. So far I have resisted their efforts to sponsor me. I love to cook and am fairly good, but if I do choose to compete I want it to be relaxed and on my terms. No expectations from anyone but the judges.

Back