suggestions

C

cowboynate45

OK so I am building my own brick smoker in my back yard. Is it nessecary to line the inside of it with fire brick since I have my cinder blocks filled with cement. I can't find anywhere around here that sells fire brick without having to drive an hour+ to get some. Any info or tips will be helpful and much appreciated.

Thanks

I've wondered the same thing. I wonder if the cinder blocks, when heated, give off an odor or gasses that are not conducive to great barbecue... I know many use them for hog pits, but I'm not sure if the cinder blocks get that kind of hot, in that scenario.

Surely someone here will know.

I guess it wont hurt to put in fire brick but we cooked on one for years at a restaurant that did not have them. It had a large walk in metal door that did not seal very well. I am not sure if the concrete blocks were filled with cement or not.

Most are probably going to tell you to get the fire bricks and I guess if I were going to all the trouble of building one I would to.
Dave

Fire bricks except the insulating type are a heat sync. The concrete block does the same thing. Save the bucks and buy a pig.

Back