Anyone have a rub recipe for butts that doesn't have sugar in it?

CUTigerQ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I dont need the sugar that is in my usual rub as I am type 2 diabetic. Do any of you guys have a rub recipe or something that I can substitute the sugar with?

Third Eye posted this one in the recipe section. I like it and I've used it several times.

Ingredients:3 tablespoons paprika
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground basil
1 tablespoon black pepper
1 tablespoon red pepper
1 tablespoon mustard powder

Why don't you use your recipe with out the sugar? Ant the one posted above looks like a winner.

I thought the sugar was what actually gave it the bark. Am I wrong about that?

i use rubs that have no to very little sugar. we like to cover meats with mustard and then rub. nice bark this way.

Most of the rubs I use don't have sugar in them. You don't need it for a bark. One of my most used rubs is a simple blend of kosher salt, black pepper and cayenne pepper.

If you use salt, pepper and paprika for a base, you can add all kinds of different herbs and spices for a variety of rubs, from mild to hot.

CD

This is the only sugarless rub recipe I see in Paul Kirk's Championship Barbeque Sauces. I've never used it though.

Sugarless Texas Sprinkle Barbeque Rub

A smooth blend of spices, with no sugar. A tablespoon of cayenne gives this rub a good wallop of heat (this is a quote, I'd probably lower cayenne down to a teaspoon, a tablespoon seems high for the amount of rub).

1/3 cup salt
1/4 cup paprika
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 tablespoons black pepper
1 tablespoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon cayenne (as stated, I'd lower this to 1 tsp)

I left the sugar out of my rub and I love it.

2 tbs salt
2 tbs ground cumin
2 tbs chili powder ( I like light chili powder)
2 tbs black pepper
1 tbs cayenne pepper
1/4 cup paprika

I use this on pork ribs and shoulder, also love it on chicken.

Here is my low carb BBq sauce

1/4 teaspoon allspice
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon paprika
2 tablespoons Splenda
3/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1- 6 oz can tomato paste
1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons sugarfree raspberry syrup ( like you use in you flavored coffee)
2 teaspoons reds hot pepper sauce

I am not a food scientist but I figure from all of the listed ingredients that this sauce is 2 1/2 carbs for a tablespoon. You should figure the carbs for yourself
It is not as good as my sauce with real sugar and honey but I have learned to enjoy it as a great compromise. I just had it on pork ribs and they were awesome! I do not cook the sauce on the smoker. It is not heated at all. Just wisk all of the ingredients together . Taste way better than any store brought low carb sauce I have tried. Be sure to make it up ahead of time so it can come together in the fridge. I keep the leftover sauce for up to two weeks in the fridge. This makes 2 cups

I use Byron's Butt Rub as I am a type 2 as well. It forms a great crust.

I think you could get pretty close to it. I has salt, black pepper, ground chipotle, onion powder and garlic powder. I don't try to copy it because I can't make it for what I can buy it for.

I will be copying down some of these other recipes for sampling:)

For brown sugar try the Diabeti Sweet brown sugar substitute. It works well for me. I also use Stevia instead of Splenda. It works better for my taste buds.

[FONT=&quot]2 1/2 Tablespoon garlic powder[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 1/2 Tablespoon paprika[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tablespoon onion powder
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]2 Tablespoon Kosher salt[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]2 Tablespoon coarse grind black pepper [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/4 teaspoon cumin[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
[/FONT][FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon cayenne[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon rubbed sage[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1 teaspoon dry mustard[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
[/FONT]

I thought the sugar was what actually gave it the bark. Am I wrong about that?

The spices, the heat, the smoke give it "the bark". Sugar or no, you'll get your bark just fine. Matter of fact, if temps get high enough, sugars will caramelize and burn. For this reason alone we have no sugars in any of our rubs. If we want to sweeten it up a little, I'll do that with a light sauce.

I think you're going to find you like barbecue better without sugar.

Otherwise, I agree with cook and the others; just remove sugar from your favorite recipe; you'll do fine.

My basic rub is:

chili powder
black pepper
paprika
white pepper
ground chipotle
ground ancho
cajun seasoning (you could use season salt, or just salt) <-- for me this brings in the hint of garlic & onion found in others
cayenne pepper

Back