• Heck yes, I have, I'm only human!

Votes: 61 87.1%
  • No Never! Mr. Perfect!

Votes: 4 5.7%
  • Who me, I'll never tell!

Votes: 5 7.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I made a kind of pork jerky out of three slabs of spare ribs a few weeks ago. I had them on the Grargriller and was too busy with my new WSM.

I royally farked my sons first birthday earlier this year. Started 4 butts the night before, fell asleep and woke up 6 hours later to a cold drum. Had my maverick setup but it never went off.:mad2: They must have hit the stall and killed the coals. I had no way to tell how long they sat in the danger zone so out they went. Luckily I had just stocked up on yardbirds and was able to cook enough for the crowd in time.

I've definitely had a few screw-ups. Left chicken breasts in too long before and we all know how that turns out. Over-cooked salmon and tuna steaks once or twice too and that's really a bummer. We're all human and when it happens to me, it's usually because I got distracted by kids or something else going on at home. It's like anything else, though. Without a few failures sprinkled in, the triumphs wouldn't feel as good.

Too low for too long and had to toss an entire butt. Which is why I now check all new thermos!!! Learned my lesson.

Yep, been there done that. Usually getting hit by a truck with a Budweiser license plate is the major fault!

I haven't messed one up yet but the time will come. I worked many years in restaurants and still do some part time work for a friend that is a chef. That gives me a base of experience with handling and cooking food.

A couple of weeks ago while smoking two racks of ribs I feel asleep and when I awoke the temp in my UDS had climbed up to 375Âş. I though they were toast so to speak but the ribs came out flavorful just a touch dry.

I had tried to cook several racks of spareribs on a brand new smoker that I had never used. They were to be served at a rehearsal dinner. When I got done with them they were all charcoal lumps on my new smoker! I don't cook for other people on a new smoker for a few weeks, to break it in.

I've screwed up some grilled food but haven't screwed up que to the point it couldn't be eaten!! I tell people "The worst I make is that best you've ever had!!" :mrgreen:

Heck no, the first time I smoked chicken thighs I used way to many hickory chunks. Good thing I smoked a chuckie at the same time or it would have been take out pizza for dinner. My wife was really PO when I told her I had to toss all the chicken. She wanted to try one because she hates to waste anything and I wouldn't let her near them. Man talk about to much smoke, yuck!

Yep, been there done that. Usually getting hit by a truck with a Budweiser license plate is the major fault!

I've seen that truck. I had a buddy call me one day and said he had a cooler full of beer on his pontoon boat going stale. I had to do my duty and help him. I grabbed 2 t-bones for the grill on the boat.Long story-short version. He called me 3 days later and said he found the steaks-still on the grill but juding by the smell the were not fit for his dog :laugh:

I guess I've been pretty lucky. The worst stories I have when guests are involved are some spares once that were on the tough side, and a brisket that had one side of the flat with a layer of char. Other than that, I've only screwed up things I was experimenting around with.

I guess I've been pretty lucky. The worst stories I have when guests are involved are some spares once that were on the tough side, and a brisket that had one side of the flat with a layer of char. Other than that, I've only screwed up things I was experimenting around with.

Experiments don't count as screw-ups!! They are EXPERIMENTS!! :twisted:

Back