Best value lump charcoal

Bbqin fool

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
I see there are alot of different brands of lump out there. What are everyone's experiences and opinions? Thanks early for your help and feedback.

My favorite lump is whatever I can get my hands on that's not Cowboy.
I have had great success with Grove lump, but I believe it is somewhat regional.
HSLS has it right that RO lump is widely available, inexpensive at WM, and is a quality product. I just wish it was available in 20 or 40 lb bags.

HSLS has it right that RO lump is widely available, inexpensive at WM, and is a quality product. I just wish it was available in 20 or 40 lb bags.

+1 on the RO at WM. If you want 20lb bags get the BGE Lump, AKA RO. Of course it is 3 times as much.

im half way through my first bag of Best of the West lump from Sams Club. so far its been ok, besides the 6 pcs that were the size of volley balls. its cheap enough that I cant complain too much

Royal Oak at Wallyworld seems to be the most economical. I think it might be a 10lb bag for $6.50 (might be lil smaller bag...not real sure).

Kroger sells an 8.8lb bag for $6 (they put it on sale about every other week for $5.50). I heard that the Kroger brand might be RO lump. Not sure.

Seems everything else is at least $1 per 1 lb.

RO lump at Restaurant Depot is crazy cheap, assuming you can get a pass. I don't remember the exact price, but a 17.63 lb bag (8 kilos) goes for around 8-9 bucks.

I like Royal Oak when I can get it, otherwise the Best Choice brand from Homeland is great too! For me the Best Choice is $1 more but the size is more consistent with less crumble waste.

12.5kgs of lump for £7.50 in the farm shop near me - it's no brand but works well and has a good mix of sizes

Back