1st time out

4dueces

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Signed up for a cookoff competition May 14-16th. We are being given porkbutts to cook, ribs and chicken legs and thighs. I've never cooked a porkbutt before. Anyone have any suggestions as to how long to cook and at what temp? Not sure on the time allotments for each catagory.

Hmmmm

Guess this was a stupid question from a rookie. I've since figured out what the "pork Butt" really is.:clap2: Must be why there weren't any responses, not even from any of you smart farkers...............:confused:

You should ask this in Q-talk, you'll get responses. A lot of condescending answers and even some good ones! Pork butt--get a rub and sprinkle a lot on. Get your smoker running at 225 to 250 and smoke it for 10 hours or so, until the meat is 195-200 degrees. Then wrap it in heavy duty foil, put it in the smallest cooler it will fit in and fill the cooler also with towels to help insulate the butt. The temp will rise probably at least 10 degrees more and should rest in the cooler about an hour. Honestly you don't even have to wrap it but many of us think it helps to make the meat moist. I think a common mistake is going by the clock and not the temp. Always go with the temp rather than the amount of hours. It's a forgiving meat, have fun!

Yep, wrong forum to ask in, Q-talk was the place to ask. That being said, I would pretty much do what Dan said. I like to use a medium grained rub (Plowboy's Yardbird is a good start) and rub it up well. I like just enough rub to create a good red color. I wrap in plastic wrap for an hour. Then I will get the heat up to 250F, I like to have a little water in the smoker, I use a couple of burned out soup cans for that purpose. Then put the butt in the smoker and let her run. It can take a while to get done so allow enough time. It could take more than 10 hours too.

try to get it done 2 hours early, and as stated above, put it in a warm cooler to hold. I think a lot of newer teams try to time their big meats (butts and Briskets) to come off of the pit right before turn in. you don't need that stress, and IMHO you will have a better product if allowed to sit in a cooler for a couple of hours.

Don't be discouraged that your question didn't get much attention, this section (team mentoring) of the forum doesn't have a whole lot of activity.

Good luck, and try to meet as many of the teams as possible on Friday night.

Last edited:
Are you sure its not Porkloin? If this is a one day contest I would bet that you will be givin' loin. Anyway, where is this contest?

According to what we've been given as the food we're cooking, it is 3 pork butts, 4 racks of ribs and chicken legs and thighs. Thanks for the advice.

I think I'll be at that contest with my sons (Monty's Little Monsters). PM me and I can hook up with you before the contest if you need any help with timing etc.

Back