Injection for meat already on the smoker

Badgeman

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
Hey, I know I'm probably proposing the unforgivable sin here, but has anyone experimented with injecting meat already on the smoker? The question come up because I've got an 11 pound bird on the pit that I didn't have time to inject (It's only been on for an hour). I'd like to do a little butter/beer injection into the breasts--hot liquid of course. I'll probably give it a shot and see what happens. Anyone else ever go this way before?

As long as you get the internal temp you want, I really don't see what it would hurt.

I would preheat the injection some, so it is close tp heat of bird.

I remember on one of the pitmasters tv shows, one of them was injecting chicken with melted butter after the cook to help with juiciness, so I can't imagine doing it during a cook would be any problem.

It turned out exceptionally well. I can't remember having a more juicy bird. I used a peach nectar, butter, worstie injection, stuffed the bird with pears and leeks. I'm thoroughly satisfied. Thanks for the input. I was intending to upload pr0n but my computer keeps locking up when I try...sorry.

I'm late as usual :mrgreen:, but I inject my briskets and butts during the plateau. When I don't have time to brine whole birds I'll shoot the breasts with a jazzd up broth with a little oil or butter mixed in.

All I really do different with the late injections is to make sure it's not as salty as I would make it if I was injecting raw meat.

I'm late as usual :mrgreen:, but I inject my briskets and butts during the plateau. When I don't have time to brine whole birds I'll shoot the breasts with a jazzd up broth with a little oil or butter mixed in.

All I really do different with the late injections is to make sure it's not as salty as I would make it if I was injecting raw meat.

Thanks for the info. I do think that there may be something to this, though I'm not sure if any great BBQ cooks do it. I'm gonna try it with a butt and see what happens.

Thanks for the info. I do think that there may be something to this, though I'm not sure if any great BBQ cooks do it. I'm gonna try it with a butt and see what happens.

Well, what if I was to tell you that a couple of great BBQ cooks are the ones I picked this up from?

Back