Oval Stick Burners

Samichlaus

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
Anybody familar with these? I'm assuming plate is welded in between the sections of pipe. Certainly would increase your cooking space. Almost like a cross between a horizontal off-set and a vertical offset. Would the top shelves run a bunch hotter? Would you still want an upright chamber like on a BYC?

kirk_pit%20copy.jpg

kirk_open%20copy.jpg

It's the Paul Kirk model that Klose makes. I've cooked on it and the temperature runs pretty even across that smoker. You can set it up so that it does have hotter areas so that you can cook at different temperatures. Don't need a vertical box because this smoker is designed with rods to hang meat if you want to.

That is Paul Kirks design that dave Klose built. From what I know Paul like to hang his meat so thats why the design is like that.

Heres a different perspective.

Its a fat verticle... Or, if ya want. Its a tall horizontal. If I was cookin on it.. it be a fat verticle. :) cause theres LOT of shelves!

"From what I know Paul like to hang his meat so thats why the design is like that."

Seems painful :eek:

Samichlaus said:
Anybody familar with these? I'm assuming plate is welded in between the sections of pipe. Certainly would increase your cooking space. Almost like a cross between a horizontal off-set and a vertical offset. Would the top shelves run a bunch hotter? Would you still want an upright chamber like on a BYC?

Yeah. They are the expensive model.

Mark said:
Yeah. They are the expensive model.

Does Klose have a "cheap" model?

They are expensive, but it's a great pit. With it's mass, holds temp great, lots of cooking room and esay to control.

big brother smoke said:
"From what I know Paul like to hang his meat so thats why the design is like that."

Seems painful :eek:

Heheeee. That's what I thought.....Twisted minds think alike.

It looks to be pretty versitile. I would love to see it in person.

From the Klose site.

THE CHEF PAUL KIRK OVAL WAGON" Price Sheet for 2005
Trailer 6-1/2ft Wide with Log Rack, by 15ft Long.
*Tons of Room to Hang Food in This One.
APPROX COOKING CAPACITY:~64 SQUARE Feet~Feeds about (300-500)

As Pictured Includes: 30" Diameter by 7' Long & 4 ½ ft Tall Oval Smoker. Top 2 Doors Counterweighted. Four Row Pullout Shelves, & 20 Hanging Rods with Anti-Roll Levelers.

3" Thick 1800 Degree Insulated Firebox with Double Wall 5/16" Steel Plates.160,000 BTU Burner on side of Firebox (Cooks with Wood, Charcoal, or Gas) 2ft x 10ft* Rear Log Rack for Igloos, Tables, Chairs, Canopies, Tents, & Woods.. Stainless Steel Air Cooled Handles, & 6 Stainless Steel Thermometers. Lockdown Pad for all Doors for safe traveling or security at the cook-offs. Pit comes with Dual* 6" Smokestacks with Adjustable Top Lids. Tuned to Cook Even. Chrome Nugget Mags* with .235 Wide-Track Tires. 2”Ball Valve Drain, Bulldog Coupler, Tail-Lights, & Safety Chains. 5,000 lb. top wind jack. Bulldog hitch w/ slip-proof collar for safety. Two 1/4"safety chains included.

Dual Front Slide-Out Sanalite Cutting Tables, Covering The Wood Storage Box, Nice 160,000 BTU Fish-Fryer Table. Other Front Sanalite Cutting Table 10" x 84" Long.

Is it a one of a kind our have a bunch of clones been made?

That particular one isn't Paul's, his has a grill built onto the front.

Samichlaus said:
From the Klose site.

Is it a one of a kind our have a bunch of clones been made?

Sami, if you right click on the 1st pic and and then click on properties in the drop down it says "kirk_pit%20copy.jpg". For whatever that's worth.

Paul Kirk told me that him and Big Dave Klose put their heads together and came up w/this rig. Its one heck of a Quin machine. Also very popular as its been stolen at least once that I know of. But he got her back.
Mike

bbqbull said:
Paul Kirk told me that him and Big Dave Klose put their heads together and came up w/this rig. Its one heck of a Quin machine. Also very popular as its been stolen at least once that I know of. But he got her back.
Mike

EDIT:

Sorry - It was his Klose that was stolen a year or two ago with the van attached and the keys in it. His Oklahoma Joe's pit was stolen too, but that wasn't attached to his van at the time...
When I cooked with him at the American Royal a couple of years ago, he was talking about getting the Oklahoma Joe back after it had been gone for a very long time. It had been stolen from a person he had lent it to. That's were my confusion came from.

Last edited:
It was this pit that got stolen. A tip for all you kiddies dont leave he keys in the ignition when you have your $18,000 smoker hooked up to it.

Had some guy come in last night, said he used to do competetions, but his smoker got stolen. Said it was made of fiberglass?:shock:

Anybody know this guy?

Samichlaus said:

kirk_pit%20copy.jpg

kirk_open%20copy.jpg

I have a far less elaborate version of this cooker, that we use for a large warmer - does a great job holding tons of steam trays. You can get that same basic body out of many oil sending/holding tanks for old boilers. Ours was built from a tank vs. the plates/pipes as you suggest. Klose did a heck of a job on this one didn't he!

Back