• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

July 3rd Rib Rub Experiment

Big_AL

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
I started out with four racks of STL spares, four rubs and two sauces. Time for a little impromptu experiment :wink:

Here are the contestants...

July4ribs017.jpg

Racks rubbed from left to right, Stumpy's, my own, River Town and Blues Hog.
July4ribs002.jpg

All the kids are in the pool plus some scooby snack trimmings for man, dog and today's beans.
July4ribs013.jpg

Getting some good pullback. Trimmings are panned and wrapped. Rack #4 is off the smoker for maintenance/more rub.
July4ribs028.jpg

Ding, ribs are 'done" and ready to wrap for transport. A little sauce will be grilled on in about 2 hours...no pics of that or a plate up darn it :tsk:
July4ribs029.jpg

In the end, Blues Hog rub plus SBR sauce was the chosen winner.

I've been using my own rib rub but have wanted to try blues hog.
Nice looking ribs.

I have 2 racks of spares in my smoker now using cherry wood (cause its what i had) and Blues hog rub.. first time i am trying it, blues hog sauce also.. shall see how it goes:)

I have 2 racks of spares in my smoker now using cherry wood (cause its what i had) and Blues hog rub.. first time i am trying it, blues hog sauce also.. shall see how it goes:)

I used all cherry for this smoke...next time I'll throw in a little hickory along with the cherry. I use BH sauce quite often but since I already had the sweet sauce covered with the SBR I wanted to lay off the mega-sweet BH sauce. Good luck on your smoke today! :-D

Last edited:
Yeah, im afraid that the BH rub with BH sauce is gonna be too sweet...i shall see:) This is my second time using cherry.. i don't hate it like i hate mesquite.. but pecan is by far the best i have ever used.

Back