Turkey, yes, but chicken? Do you brine before smoking?

Okie Sawbones

Banned
Reaction score
Over the years, I have always brined a turkey before cooking, but never a chicken. How about you? FWIW, I tried a quick brine on a whole chicken today (4 hours), and it is still on the smoker, so I have formed no opinion yet. Always like to hear what others are happy with. Happy Halloween, you goblins.

I get birds that have been in the solution so i don't bother...and if you've seen my birds they're always dripping wet.

Nothing wrong with brining for different flavor profiles but i get way enough flavors just with rub under the skin.

I brine my whole chickens overnight before cooking them. I cook mine on the Weber kettle with a rotisserie kit at around 350, so it is not smoking. But, it works great that way, so should work well for smoking at a lower temp for a longer time.

I put fresh herbs in my brine, and I can really taste the herbs in the finished food.

Next time I cook chicken breasts, I plan to brine them, too.

CD

I get birds that have been in the solution so i don't bother...and if you've seen my birds they're always dripping wet.

Nothing wrong with brining for different flavor profiles but i get way enough flavors just with rub under the skin.

I buy un-enhanced chicken. Brining enhance chicken might be a bit too salty.

CD

And then fry the feathers. Always brine myself.

I cook 16 or more fresh chickens a week and don't brine. The only time I have a problem with them being dry is when the get over cooked. I cook at about 300*F. I pull them off when the breast is 160*F and the thigh is 180*F.

We almost always brine our chickens for smoking. Then pat them dry and let them air dry in the fridge while the smoker comes up.

Hey, seriously, thanks for all of the replies. I pulled the chicken when the breast was 165. Maybe I am just imagining it, but the breasts sure were juicy. The thighs and legs were really juicy. The wife and I, and the three dogs all enjoyed the bird. :twisted: I think I might continue with the quick brine for 4 hours. I used chicken broth, salt, onion powder and garlic powder in the brine, along with my own rub for the cooking. Yum.

I get non enhanced whole chicken and brine overnight.

If I'm doing a whole bird, I normally go with Road Side soak. It's just so good.

I always brine with Gatorade and a rub of my choice that day for at least four hours.

Yes, I use powdered Gatorade or Tang been doing it that way for a few years always turns out nice and moist. Look up the ingredients in either one and you will see why. Try it you may like it.:thumb:

Never heard of using Gatorade -- but it does have sugar, salt and phosphates... :thumb:

with so many different tastes there is no right answer. I tried brining and didn't like it.
I enjoy the taste of the meat i'm eating and prefer s&p and maybe some garlic or
rosemary as the only enhancement.
so just try it for a while and then you will find what you prefer.

Back