Insurance to Vend BBQ

Smokey Bones

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
After competing a bit and getting a better realization of the cost. And getting better at are Q have considered vending at a few events and some competitions.

One of the requirements at the events is a million dollar insurance coverage. Can anyone provide some insight as to some good companies to check into, what questions to ask, and an estimate as to what their coverage cost is for comparison?

Thanks.

Insurance is a product sold state by state unless you have a license in more than one state so what someone says in MD really doesn't apply to CA. Check the internet for agents that sell vending insurance, check your homeowners agent and get some recommendations from other vendors in S.Cal.

I am in the process of looking myself but am interested in catering insurance (though I dont know if the policies cover both) I checked with my auto insurance carrier and came up with $1500 a year for a million of coverage which is out of my range since I am just starting out. The policy my agent came up with was just for general liability and had nothing written in it about food handling. If i find anything decent I'll drop you a line...

I've got a 1 MILL policy with 50K replacement coverage of trailer/equipment in the event something happens. It's through Montgomery Insurance and runs me $821 annually. I've also got an annual vending permit that allows me to set up anywhere in the state of TN and sell from my trailer.

Contact the HD first and discuss how you plan on setting up before you get to deep in expenses.

We use Erie Insurance for the business. They cover use for manufacturing our BBQ sauce, catering and about $40,000.00 in equipment for $600.00. The first year it was double that but after a fews years it has kept dropping.

I just heard back from my State Farm agent. $1,000,000 policy for $280 per year. I think that may be liability - didn't think to ask if that covered equipment.

Cover your equipment unless your smoker is easy to replace and you don't mind buying one again if it is destroyed in a wreck or stolen.

I have 5,000,000.00 coverage for 230.00 a year including employee and equipment.

Back