View Single Post
Old 01-23-2009, 11:13 AM   #1
KC_Bobby
Babbling Farker

Default Comp Trailer/RV power management

Last night as I was finishing the insulation install in the Q'chen's ceiling and I flipped on the A/C heater. Doing so, the rear light dimmed (floresescent) a bunch.

Would/could that likely be caused by not supplying the trailer with enough electricity? I was only using a cheap extension cord (likely 16 gauge/possibly 14) from the garage to the 30 amp cord that comes out of my trailer breaker box. I'm guessing/hoping that was the cause. (Thinking I shouldn't use that cord again if I'm going to turn on the A/C - I don't need to start an electrical fire)

My breaker box has a 30 amp cord (with RV plug) running into it with two 20 amp breakers and two 15 amp breakers coming out of it. One 20 amp goes to the A/C, the other to an outlet. One 15 amp breaker goes to the interior lights and the other to another outlet. I'd like to run another outlet off the outlet that is getting the 20 amp power so I have another outlet inside the trailer.

What do you others use for extension cords at comps? 30 amp RV cords are not cheap - about a $1 or better a foot - and most comps say bring 100' of cord. Or will a 12/3 contractor cord (I assume that means 12 gauge/3 prong) do the trick without worry? I want to make sure I can run the A/C, have lighting and enough juice left over for a coffee pot or hot plate.

I think I know the answer is go get a good RV cord, but I guess I want a second opinion from those who know before dropping over $100 on cord. Secondly, do I need to be concerned about the heat in the cord running those items in a 100' cord (or three 30' connected cords)?

Thank you for your support
-Bartles and James mod
Proud KCBS Member & Certified Judge

KC_Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote