Am I the only one....

Do you drink Diet Coke with a slice of chocolate cake? :wink:

Oh hell yes -- mainly because the real-deal cane Coke makes me silly, giggly drunk.
shiner.gif

Honestly, I think it can be both.
I think it does matter, all other things being equal -- but it doesn't matter as much as some think it does.

Good chicken doesn't have to be in unnatural shapes, but unnaturally shaped chicken still has to be good.

OK, back on topic. Even if it doesn't matter as much as people think, could it still matter too much? You see as much as I love to stir a pot now and again I'm not trying to do it here. I really do think that we need better judging systems for BBQ in all three countries. The USA, Texas, and Canady, we all need to improve. I here and see so much discussion about appearance scores and dissatisfaction with the status-quo, all over the Internet I see it, I don't see how It can't be a problem. FYI, I'm very much dis-satisfied with the Texas system but will take it any day over the current version of the KCBS set. That being said the KCBS rules are close to what we all need but they still need a few heavy tweaks IMO. What's it gonna take? :confused:

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Well, that's where we'll part ways. I don't have any heavy-duty dissatisfactions with KCBS's rules at the moment. I have my moments about IBCA, but we cook satisfactorily under their rules, too.

Of course you'll see posts by those who dislike the status quo -- when was the last time you saw someone go online saying "I LOVE the rules!" :tongue: :laugh:

I for one refuse to:

• De-bone thighs - takes away from the flavor believe it or not
  • Use a muffin pan - Myron has to be having the biggest laugh on that one
  • use parkay on my chicken or ribs (or anything for that matter)
  • Sell out - I cook for my pleasure. If it happens to please the judges - great!, if not - I enjoyed myself.
What I will do (do do?):

• Trim thighs to get them as presentable (and similar size) as possible
  • Use my own process for bite through skin
  • Laugh by butt off watching other teams spend hours prepping chicken into balls, parkay baths & muffin tins - all while I relax with a cold beer
  • Only compete as time & money allows. Fortunately for me, it is a hobby. I am not trying to advertise my restaurant or catering biz, don't need a table full of trophies, and don't expect to walk away with any cash at the end of the comp. Just have a great time with great people.

After recently attending a KCBS judging certification, I do have to say that, they clearly do state that the appearance isn't weighed as heavily as the other factors, however, they spend more time going over appearance than anything else. They state what garnishes to use, how many pieces should be identifiable, pooling, puddling, etc., etc. but, when it comes to taste and tenderness issues, there is little time spent on them and they say that it is up to each persons interpretation. That is why I think there may be a bigger focus on the appearance factor than it truly merits, if it looks good, it looks good. Just make sure you got enough for everyone. I think people need to focus more on what they are happy with because by doing so, it will come out in the end product. On the upside, if they all look exactly the same, then I guess it would come down to purely taste and tenderness alone. :laugh:

Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat??:confused: Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..:tape:
This is the perfect time to see PIC's, maybe we can compare square vs muffin vs regular shape chicken:becky:

I for one refuse to:

• De-bone thighs - takes away from the flavor believe it or not
  • Use a muffin pan - Myron has to be having the biggest laugh on that one
  • use parkay on my chicken or ribs (or anything for that matter)
  • Sell out - I cook for my pleasure. If it happens to please the judges - great!, if not - I enjoyed myself.
What I will do (do do?):

• Trim thighs to get them as presentable (and similar size) as possible
  • Use my own process for bite through skin
  • Laugh by butt off watching other teams spend hours prepping chicken into balls, parkay baths & muffin tins - all while I relax with a cold beer
  • Only compete as time & money allows. Fortunately for me, it is a hobby. I am not trying to advertise my restaurant or catering biz, don't need a table full of trophies, and don't expect to walk away with any cash at the end of the comp. Just have a great time with great people.

Well said John, I couldn't agree with ya more brotha. Especially about the Parkay....ick. That being said, I think I will still end up stressing more about the chicken than anything else at comps this summer.

STUPID CHICKEN!

I just spent what probably totaled 8 hours over 2 days working on chicken for plesent hill only to be rewarded with a pair of 6 in appearance. I think we should just swith to chicken fingers.

I just spent what probably totaled 8 hours over 2 days working on chicken for plesent hill only to be rewarded with a pair of 6 in appearance. I think we should just swith to chicken fingers.

Ouch, Phil that stings!

Think drumsticks...looks like chicken...tastes like chicken...and has a handle that judges love! :cool:

There is nothing I dislike more than trimming chicken for a competition but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I like the idea of drumsticks and wings. We're gonna give that a go this year and just see what happens. I agree with the comment that most of the judging class seems to be about visuals, which is a bit weird. The more judges that aren't cooks seem to be watching tv and looking at stuff they seem to think more and more that they should be eating mini chicken meat loafs (wait...there's an idea!). You start to wonder if they could even identify a thigh in a grocery store.

It doesn't make sense to me that what gets turned in looks nothing like a chicken thigh. If it looks good, it looks good even if they aren't all symmetrical. With that said, if the judges expect a box of squares, I guess that's what you have to give 'em.

I spent 1 hour boning thighs and trimming yesterday for a practice cook. Then spent 2 hours prepping and cooking, all to be met with "I sure liked the ones with the bones better" from my wife. That coupled coupled with all of my chicken calls coming with nicely trimmed (not perfect, but uniform), bone-in thighs has answered this question for me.

Am I the only one who thinks that it is odd that we cut,trim,manipulate chicken to look like a square piece of meat??:confused: Why don't we turn in chicken that actually looks like chicken?? ........Just askin..:tape:[/QUOTE

Because this is how Myron does it!

Back