Q for WSM owners

I think with a heat sink( I use sand) it helps temps recover faster after opening the lid

No, you don't have to use the water pan but because there isn't as much clearence between the food and fire with a 22.5 WSM as there is with a UDS it does help control flareups when doing big chunks of meat like a butt, thats just my .02.

I fill my water pan with wood chips. Gives a nice flavor and you can just dump them out when your finished.

I use a foiled 12" terra cotta flower pot base in my WSM water pan and foil over the top of that, leaving an indention to catch drips. Pull the top layer of foil and rewrap. Good to go for the next LNS cook.

I do cook chicken without the water pan, and it always comes out great.

Great thread, lot of good info.
I've been using water in mine, every time. Been kicking around the idea of using sand and foil. The concept of sand having a fast recovery time appeals to me, as I'm always fiddling with snacks and lifting the lid.

It depends...

For pork butt I use a large water pan with water. I believe that keeping humidity level up and temperature stable results in more uniform temperature rise in the meat (Without a stall). (I have no idea whether this makes a better product) It also seems to make it easy to go 7+ hours without touching the smoker. Pork on one or both grates.

For whole large poultry (capon or turkey) I use the pan dry to block radiant heat, but generally only use the top grate.

For ribs I use a dry water pan if just cooking on the top grate, wet pan if using both grates.

For smaller poultry or beef roasts I don't use any water pan, but only cook on the top grate.

Back