View Single Post
Old 10-25-2011, 11:30 AM   #8784
coewar
Knows what a fatty is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhollar View Post
This is for all of you that use a two rack UDS. I am building my third UDS and I am wanting to put two racks in this one. Question one is how far down do you put the top rack? I was thinking of 1 1/2 inches from the top and then 7 inches down for rack number two. What do you think or am I totally off. Any and all input is greatly appreciated.
What the other guys said is fine, and it won't matter all that much. If you want pork butts as high as possible, need 6-7 inches from bottom of top grate to bottom of the lid. But for just small things on top, 3-4 inches is enough.

However I have abandoned my pre-drilling of grates and now use the grate-with-leg approach. I can't recall where on this forum, but there are some images. Essentially I make legs for my grates, from like 5 inches to 7 inches. I pre-drill holes for bolts at the lowest setting, where I'd put my heat-shield grate (with some angle iron pieces on it) and then I "stand" my other grates on top. That allows me to be flexible and quickly take things out and swap them around, and they can stand on their own like little tables when not in the grill.
coewar is offline   Reply With Quote