BBQ Brethren "Pick the 4th Ingredient" Throwdown!

As I see it, you have to open your mind, perhaps Larry has opened his mind more than I expected, so now I can't wait to see his dessert. I don't understand how anyone could object to dough in a tube.

Enter First, Ask Questions Later

I am going out of town on Sunday for a week so I'll be gone next weekend for the end of the 4 ingredient pick 'em Throwdown. Here's my entry. I'm in first.

Here's some chicken breasts sliced into tenders and battered for Kettle Fried Chicken. I used egg, milk, baking powder and some Texas BBQ Rub Texas Wild to season the batter.

DSC_0169.jpg

I got them on the grill with a fire in the kettle running about 450.

DSC_0172.jpg

While the chicken was cooking, I took my dough in a can and made some waffles. Wasn't sure how that was going to work but I was pleasantly surprised that I got the shape and browness I wanted.

DSC_0170.jpg

I mixed up a dipping sauce of peanut butter, soy sauce, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, dried red pepper and brown sugar. Once the chicken came off the grill, I plated my chicken & waffles with some chopped green grapes and drizzled the stack with my peanut, lime sauce and some maple syrup.

DSC_0210.jpg

Dinner was served with Shiner Bohemian Black Lager fresh from the Spoetzl brewery in Shiner, Texas, USA. Don't know how that fits in with Chicken & Waffles but , heck, everything fits in with Chicken & Waffles.

This recipe was a winner. Really nice contrast of the citrus and peanuts in the dipping sauce with the sweetness of the syrup and the crunch of the crispy chicken strips. Have a good weekend all.

Hmmm, premature entry, something new here all the time. I gotta say, that first entry is a lot better than I expected. And I am amazed that the dough in a can turned into a waffle.

Waffles, killer, just killer. Everything else ain't no slouch either!

Picked up my chicken, lime, dough, and eggplant today...now what to do with it???

There's a restsursnt known for their chicken and waffles. Csnt thunk of the name but high q can give them a run.

There is The House of Chicken and Waffles and Rosoce's House of Chicken and Waffles, and High Q's looks better than both.

When I saw the dough in a tube, about the only thing I could recall is cheese-stuffed crescent rolls that my mom used to make about 40 years ago. I didn't think I could stuff tofu into a crescent and make it edible. I did think of something else though. I began (as I expect most of us will do) by marinating the chicken in lime juice from two limes. I also added powdered ginger, sugar, garlic, salt, and some sliced green onions. After a couple hours I skewered them:

IMG_0929.jpg

I then grilled them up on the Oval:

IMG_0956.jpg

I would've loved to stop there, but I'm missing a couple ingredients. The first step was letting the chicken cool. Next was breaking open the dough:

IMG_0967.jpg

The rounds were cut into thirds and then wrapped around the chicken:

IMG_0970.jpg

I then ground up some peanuts

IMG_0964.jpg

and mixed the peanuts with coconut and sugar

IMG_0965.jpg

I then dipped those wrapped chicken-dough balls into melted butter and coated them with the peanut-coconut mixture. These probably would've made some great chicken-filled Tim-bits, or Munchkins, but instead these were then placed into a bundt pan

IMG_0972.jpg

Finally, these were covered with a thin coating of brown sugar dissolved in melted butter:

IMG_0974.jpg

These were placed back into the Oval and cooked about 35 minutes at 370*

IMG_0977.jpg

I enjoyed them most dipped in loempia sauce.

IMG_0980.jpg

We ate them with rice and beer:

IMG_0988.jpg

Most of you will recognize the similarity to monkey bread, but really it is completely different. For one thing, it is not gooey. Also, the crust is crunchy, the breading soft, and there was the flavor of coconut and lime-marinated (slightly sour) chicken to offset the sweetness. Was going for something that tasted a bit Indonesian and I think it worked out well. I was quite happy with how it came out.

Gore - great job. Really didn't know where that was going when you were wrapping the chicken in the dough. How do you serve that? Can you dump it out of the bundt pan onto a plate (think that is what I see in the background) and tear it with chopsticks?

Entering second has its merits.

Gore - great job. Really didn't know where that was going when you were wrapping the chicken in the dough. How do you serve that? Can you dump it out of the bundt pan onto a plate (think that is what I see in the background) and tear it with chopsticks?

Yep, that is what you see in the background. It more or less held its shape (would've held it fine if I wasn't such a klutz), but it's not gooey or overly sticky. It's easiest just to eat them with your fingers, but the kids always like chopstick nights, so we went with that theme.

Man, this is great, that entry makes me want to try that. I like the idea a lot.

Wow, nice flavor explosion Gore:thumb: Sounds great!!

Great entry Gore. Very creative. :thumb:
I did have to go back to the first post to check the you pick the next ingredient list. I only remembered Eggplant and Tofu, I forgot the peanuts were an option.

Back