Smokers for Competition advice

F

Fletch711

I'm slightly embarrassed to post this, but here it goes. I plan on entering a small contest down here next March (yeah I'm way ahead of the game). Anyway, I am going to need to expand to some more smokers and want to get used to them prior to a competition.

I'm thinking of purchasing a BWS Chubby and bringing out my two Cypress Ceramics via a small Uhaul style trailer.

My main question is do you think I would do better spending a little more and buying a trailer unit? My main issue with a large trailer is I won't be able to cook on it often, and I think the BWS is small enough for the patio and combined with the others should give me enough cooking space to cook in two categories.

While I'm in it for the fun, I don't want to be laughed at. Any advice is welcome.

Thanks.

-- Fletch.

I would not advise buying a big smoker now for a competition next March, and I definitely wouldn't recommend a trailer unit for competition. With two Cypress grills, I would think you could cook two categories pretty easily unless one of them is moose. Identify how much food you want to cook and what your timeline is, and then plan accordingly. There are a lot of good cooks who win on WSMs and drums. This isn't to say that there's anything wrong with a Chubby, but before you drop a grand on one, I'd make sure that you need it. At that price point, I'd also check out the Onyx Oven. Good luck!

dmp

^^^^^^^^^
what he said.. high end smokers dont win competitions, cooks do. A BWS is great, but get it if you want it in general, not just for a comp.. u can win a competition on a couple smokey mountains.

I am in the other camp, if it was me and i was buying id look for a big enough cooker to cut down having to bring 2 other cookers, extended party, fatboy, gater. I know they cost more, but their are reasons winning teams like them.

they are also great for the patio, but i do agree with others only get one if you want it besides comps. you cant beat having capasity when you need it....

I have a BWS and like it. I also have a WSM and like it. If I bought the WSM prior to buying the BWS, I wouldn't own a BWS. I'd own a WSM 18 and a WSM 22.

We did a unsanctioned event last weekend for our first comp. Gonna do a full KCBS event next year, and will be using WSM's. They are nice because they are pretty easy to move around because they break down into 3 pieces. WE have a 22" and are looking to get one or two 18" cookers too..

If it were me, I'd make sure that whatever smoker I used, I knew it well and could control the results. Furthermore, I would be darn sure it could go 6-8 hours unattended soze I could get some shut eye.

Spicewine medium is excellent for competition with a maze and ball drain valve for air intake. Can do everything on one and still have a great backyard cooker for family events.

Back