My first suckling pig

Smokey Mo

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
My first smoked pig.

Also here is a video of the experience. It was 95F and high humidity. I didn't realize how heavy I was breathing.

[ame]http://youtu.be/XGTnZuC6dO8[/ame]

I picked up the 40 lb pig Friday afternoon. Stored it in a cooler till I was done with work.
I butterflied her from neck to groin

IMG_4785_zpsd6c5025a.jpg

I used this bad boy for injection. Much easier than a syringe. I used approx 72 oz of liquid to inject the pig.
I injected the night before, then gave a generous sprinkling of rub.
IMG_4792_zpsaa3ccb86.jpg

I decided to cook the pig breast side up, to keep all the drippings contained, and not drip into the pale.
Ms. Piggy went on the smoker at 8:15 am at 225. I thought it would take 10 hrs, but after 6 hours I realized this would take close to 12 hrs to get to 195F IT. I bumped the temp up to 250 to compensate.

I used 3 lbs. cherry, 4 lbs. hickory, 3 lbs oak for the final hrs of cooking.

IMG_4789_zps2e2f24bc.jpg

This pic was after 3 hrs on the smoker. I only foiled the ears. Nothing burned
IMG_4797_zps98394f05.jpg

She is done
IMG_4813_zpsa0768070.jpg

She was very happy to be on the table. We started to dress her up for the dinner party
IMG_4818_zps0052790a.jpg

She wanted to wear a crown for the special event

IMG_4822_zps5e602855.jpg

IMG_4821_zps1599ca0a.jpg

After resting for 30 minutes, it was time to shred and slice the meat. I did not mix all the meat together, I served the meat separate to the guests could sample each, and compare the flavors and textures.
This took about 20 minutes
IMG_4829_zps54f6c9e9.jpg

I also served loaded potato salad
IMG_4837_zps50a3b57f.jpg

Cucumber vinegar salad
IMG_4835_zps5b53c266.jpg

I made a tomato and orange segment salad, but I forgot to take pictures.

I wasn't sure if all the guests would like pork so I made brick chicken as well
IMG_4810_zps0f01cfbc.jpg

IMG_4812_zps48510a0d.jpg

As an appetizer I served a shrimp boil around 2 pm
IMG_4803_zps735f6e3d.jpg

IMG_4807_zps32723766.jpg

For dessert, a fruit piggy
IMG_4839_zpse373537b.jpg

Looks great! Never seen a pig look like it was smiling after cooked like yours was. Must have done something right :thumb:

great job! how big is your pit? I really want to do one before summer is out. just need to find a small piggy, thanks for the info pics and video.

Cool! Looks like you had a feast. When I did a piglet, I dug the eyeballs out because I heard they get pretty ugly and drip down the face. You didn't have that problem?

Thank you.
I had 16 adults, and only went through half the pig. The boil was served as an apptzr. 2 hours before the main meal.
My smoker is 36" long, wall to wall, and 34" of grate space. 19" deep.

I was going to remove the eyes, but left them in (I got side tracked). I did not have any problem with them. Either I got lucky, or the low temp kept the eyes from bursting. No clue.

Cool! Looks like you had a feast. When I did a piglet, I dug the eyeballs out because I heard they get pretty ugly and drip down the face. You didn't have that problem?

You cut the center section of the eye out with a scalpel. When it cooks the eye swells a little and it looks natural.

I don't have a pic, but I bet you can find one.

she looks happy with her party hat on :grin:
wonder if she knew she was the main course :twisted:

I saw a recipe once, where they stuff the suckling cavity & then sow it up.

What a great party! You know how to serve up some good eats!

Back