I'm pretty sure PUB FOOD means Bangers and Mash...

Bangers1.jpg

DRAT! I just got some freshly ground pork and beef, mace, rubbed sage and a few other spices to make bangers. Should have cooked them Wednesday when I got the stuff. Still though, my plate wasn't going to be nearly as pretty as yours Larry. I'd definitely hit that!:thumb:

Now LISTEN...

So, I will be doing the same thing, as soon as I get a few punds together, but from a historic Aussie Pub Perspective with good traditions.

Looked at that menu and new saw pub food that good at the pubs I ate, although that's probably because the pub I went to was for beer and by the time I drank I didn't care what I ate. I was hoping you'd do a meat pie and a VB for me

Of course they are. I'm not touching a canned one and you can't get fresh peas here.

Sir Larry of Rocklin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nttawwt Sir Larry, it's certainly what I'd use too but figured you being in the land of milk & honey that fresh peas would be dangling off the eves of your house? Nice dish btw..:thumb:

Hey Tom, just had to say how outstanding your food looked, and sounded. First of all, I LOVE fried mushrooms, and bacon wrapped/smoked first - wow! Your burgers sound amazing too, food looks fab, wish I had some of that right now - iced in and can't go to work (poor pittiful me huh?). I too made home fries but love your cook there...only thing, and I do mean the ONLY thing I would change would be to use romaine or butter lettuce on the burgers instead of iceberg. But since you probably won't get anything but iceburg in a pub anyway, hey - your pub grub ROCKS!!!!:thumb::thumb::thumb: (that's two thumbs and a big toe up btw).

Larry, I'm really drawing a blank on this one and was thinking bangers and mash too. What you did was a work of art though. Great job.

nttawwt Sir Larry, it's certainly what I'd use too but figured you being in the land of milk & honey that fresh peas would be dangling off the eves of your house? Nice dish btw..:thumb:

Jack, fresh peas may be good for eating raw, but they are so variable usually its much better to go with the frozen.

King, you really nailed that one. That has pub-food written all over it. I love those onions and you definitely used pub mustard.

I'm pretty sure PUB FOOD means Bangers and Mash...

Darn! There goes idea number two!

Oh well... I already have the ingredients and no time to make anything else, so I'll probably have to enter it anyways. It's what's for dinner tonight :-D

Nice job, Larry!

What? Not A Smoked Pickled Egg In Sight?.....Nor A Smoked Pickled Pig's Foot?

Darn! There goes idea number two!

Oh well... I already have the ingredients and no time to make anything else, so I'll probably have to enter it anyways. It's what's for dinner tonight :-D

Nice job, Larry!

Yeppers, I'm going with mine too but with a twist Redhot suggested.:becky:

...only thing, and I do mean the ONLY thing I would change would be to use romaine or butter lettuce on the burgers instead of iceberg. But since you probably won't get anything but iceburg in a pub anyway
I dug through the whole bin of romaine at the grocery store and could not find one package I liked. In the end though, I decided, as you said, most places would probably have ice berg anyways.

Yeppers, I'm going with mine too but with a twist Redhot suggested.:becky:
oooooh, do I see bacon wrapped bangers in the future or, oooh I know, banger canoes filled with mash... :tape: nevermind, I'll stop talking now. :becky:

Larry has entered a good looking sausage.

DRAT! I just got some freshly ground pork and beef, mace, rubbed sage and a few other spices to make bangers. Should have cooked them Wednesday when I got the stuff. Still though, my plate wasn't going to be nearly as pretty as yours Larry. I'd definitely hit that!:thumb:

Just why its served on a floor tile though....?

Somone could slip on that!! :becky:

I'm going to add some pub music, since I can't imagine visiting a pub and missing out on this aspect. This is for Jack.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iNVTUh5yviI&feature=related

I thought it would be great to submit fish and chips. I've sampled enough, both good and bad in pubs, but I really couldn't imagine those turning out, with the time required to cook the batter and fish being vastly different. I finally settled on chicken wings, which is pretty lame, I must admit. I did these hot and fast (but not fried) in the Oval. I mixed up some batter. There was about 1.5 cups of flour, some buttermilk powder, a good deal of seasoning (Lawry's and Foil Hat Rub). To this I added the liquid, which consisted of 1 egg, a couple spoonfuls of yogurt and some milk. I stirred it up and it was a bit thick.

IMG_0927.jpg

I added about 1/4-1/2 cup more milk, stirred it up and then dipped and battered. Then I brushed these in melted butter.

IMG_0931.jpg

I decided to try something a bit different and cook these on a cookie sheet.

IMG_0932.jpg

About half of these I put on the grill after about 20 minutes.

IMG_0933.jpg

I cooked them at about 400* for close to 40 minutes total. I served these up with some tabasco, ranch dressing and a beer.

IMG_0952.jpg

Truth is I was quite disappointed in them. First, I'll admit that I don't really like chicken wings -- I know that sounds odd to most of you, but I'm happy to pass them by. I could not taste any chicken flavor. I think probably it was the chicken. Also, I think the cookie sheet may not have been a good idea. I did this because in the past I have laid chicken on the grates directly and the batter can stick and rip on removal. Unfortunately, on the cookie sheet, the bottoms became flattened and were browner. If I did it again, I'd insulate the sheets, but I think on the grates directly is probably the way to go. Still, it was bite-through:

IMG_0955.jpg

Thanks Tom, I think I'll stick with thighs and my usual store.

I think they look fine too. Love that technique:becky:

Back