Charcoal Questions

jmy1986

Knows what a fatty is.
Looking for some insight on what people believe is the best charcoal. I currently use lump and enjoy it very much. Someone had give me a bunch of bags of the cowboy brand lump coal. Now that I am almost out of it and am starting to try to become better on the grill and learn smoking I want to use a coal that is going to be the best.

Thank you all in advance

I like Royal Oak lump for grilling and short cooks on the smoker. And Stubb's or Coshell briquettes for long cooks. I've really started liking the Coshell. Not a ton of smoke flavor so you need to add a flavoring wood. They keep a really even heat though for a really long time. Really clean smoke.

Depends on if you want the best which costs more like Stubbs all natural, or best bang for the buck which would probably be the old tried and true Kingsford blue bag briquettes.

Not a Cowboy fan at all. I like Ozark Oak, Kamado Joe, Fire King, The Good One and Rockwood. Royal Oak can be good, but it's very inconsistent and can be not so good sometimes too.

Another vote for Stubbs.

It burns clean once it's lit, and it responds well to airflow changes, and it's durable and re-useable.

Only problem is the heavy smoke when you first light it, and the price.

Wicked Good brand. Either the Weekend Warrior or the new one, Jake's Blend.

Very long burning, very little ash and a pleasant aroma too. pricy, but you get what you pay for.

Stubbs are the best briquettes I've tried...no funky odor. Lump from GFS is a good deal...think Royal Oak makes it.

Looking for some insight on what people believe is the best charcoal. I currently use lump and enjoy it very much.

I too prefer to use lump in my smoker because it burns much hotter. Because it burns hotter with proper airflow control I get a clean prolonged burn in my insulated cooker with almost perfect temperature control.

Someone had give me a bunch of bags of the cowboy brand lump coal. Now that I am almost out of it and am starting to try to become better on the grill and learn smoking I want to use a coal that is going to be the best.

Thank you all in advance

Cowboy brand had a bad reputation a few years back as they used a lot of construction scrap. Since then they have made some changes and improved their product. Over the past two years I have purchased it when it went on sale and have had a great product. No scraps and uniform sized pieces of limbs/branches. I actually look for it to go on sale and stock up.

For the smoker and for grilling steaks on the kettle, I really like lump charcoal. But in the kettle when cooking large amounts chicken, sausage, and burgers I prefer Stubb's briquettes. They burn at a slower to accommodate a large amount of meat to be cooked without having to refill the charcoal in the middle of the cook.

I have been very pleased with Stumps.
My favorite is Royal Oak Chefs Select. It can be ordered on line at DoItBest.com and shipped to store for free. It's a tad over $.50/lb.
As far as lump, Royal Oak has always been good to me, as has Grove (a regional brand). I have used some B&B, Ozark Oak, and Maple Leaf. All awesome charcoal but very hard to get in these parts.

Stubb's briquets!! I have tried many kinds of charcoal lately and Stubb's has become a favorite. I hear a lot of people saying that Stubbs is too costly. Here in Columbus, I can get Stubbs for $9.00/15 lb bag(0.60 per lb) at Lowes.

Thank you all. I actually believe that the same company that owns cowboy also owns Stubbs and someone else. I have nice piece of branches and chunks of wood in all 8 of the bags that I have burned of cowboy this year. I usually only use briquettes in the bottom of my chimney to start my lump. I really like the pro of lump that you can just put it on top of your fire if you are running low and do not let it burn off a little like briquettes. I will have to look into Stubbs. I actually have a do it best down the street from me.

Thank you all. Keep it coming.

Not that it will kelp you in yankee territory, but I like HEB Hardwood &Mesquite Lump Charcoals the best and B&B

Thank you all. I actually believe that the same company that owns cowboy also owns Stubbs and someone else. I have nice piece of branches and chunks of wood in all 8 of the bags that I have burned of cowboy this year. I usually only use briquettes in the bottom of my chimney to start my lump. I really like the pro of lump that you can just put it on top of your fire if you are running low and do not let it burn off a little like briquettes. I will have to look into Stubbs. I actually have a do it best down the street from me.

Thank you all. Keep it coming.
Like lump, you can add Stubbs out of the bag to a smoke in progress. Lowes usually has it. I've heard Walmart too, but I don't shop there

Up in PA you should look for some Humphries lump. Everyone I've ever saw mention it spoke highly of it.

I find Royal Oaqk lump to be the best bang for the buck. $9.97 per 17.6# bag here. Other lumps are better but at almost 2X as much i can afford to burn more RO even if it only lasts 70% as long as the good stuff.

Back