Overnight 18# brisket

cds9333

Full Fledged Farker
Smoking an 18.3 pound (pre-trim) prime brisket I picked up from Sams for a pot luck tomorrow. Here it is with a 7" santoku for size.

IMG_3916_zps2aaf4ff8.jpg

For ease and speed of cooking I split the flat and the point and seasoned with Bovine Bold.

IMG_3920_zps17178a69.jpg

The weather tonight is quite nice. A couple things you may notice, the welding blanket helps to keep the heat in/block wind. Also, I am using an Auber ATC and ET-732, but to keep them dry I put them in a plastic container that had a hole and grommet in the lid the wife had sitting around.

IMG_3923_zps1b213350.jpg

I'll be sure to post the results as long as I remember pictures in the morning.

EDIT: Forgot to mention that within 36 hours prior to this, it was over 70*F here.

Last edited:
Awesome endeavor!

Haven't seen snow here in a few years. It's predicted to be rainy 77 degrees and then clear up for sunny high 40-50 degrees tomorrow through the weekend.

I'm really wanting to cook a brisket on Monday. It'll be my first attempt.

I'll most likely be buying it from Sam's. Our Sam's has an excellent meat dept.

My rub order came in yesterday. I have both Bovine & Black Ops.

I'll be watching your thread throughout the day from work. Good luck!

20130129_111127.jpg

4:30 AM, just foiled the brisket (haven't mastered foil less brisket, yet).

IMG_3926_zps218fc4a3.jpg

As for the weather, it has finally stopped snowing. This was @ 3 at the previous update.

IMG_3924_zpsc8d437ae.jpg

Wow, looks good. How many folks you going to feed with that bad boy?

Well, it is for a work potluck today as two coworkers are moving on to other things. It will hopefully feed the up to 20 coworkers in the office.

I cooked a 17 pounder in early November that disappeared, though there were about 30 people. There was also a turkey breast and some ham, but the majority of both of those were left over. :biggrin1:

I have a WSM and I was thinking about picking up a welding blanket. Do they work well? What do you cover with the blanket? I was always under the impression that the blanket was to be wrapped around the smoker???

I have a WSM and I was thinking about picking up a welding blanket. Do they work well? What do you cover with the blanket? I was always under the impression that the blanket was to be wrapped around the smoker???

I bought the blanket to wrap my last smoker (a bandera), so it is an odd size for the WSM. I have it folded in half currently with bolts through the grommets. It does what I need it to which is block the wind. I have just wrapped it around the WSM and used the hook of a bungie cord to tie it together (not shown in the pics). To help keep it on the smoker I just folded it in under the top handle. Completely wrapping it would work much better, but I didn't want it to completely cover the top or lay on the ground.

I know there are better wind blocks, but I already had the blanket and it was a no cost solution.

Looks good. That is one big point. What are your plans for that? Burnt ends or are you going to slice it with the flat?

Every time I think I want to BBQ something other than a brisket, I come here and see another beautiful brisket being BBQ'd and that is all I want to do again. I've nearly forgotten about ribs and butts. I am brisket-obsessed and these pictures aren't helping my recovery!!!

Back