• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

uds

M

Movingmd

First off this is my first post. And I'm jumping in with both feet.
I have read that with uds the cooking surface needs to be 24" from the bottom of the fire pan, inorder to cook low and slow. but a big green egg the meat is only inchs from the top of the fire. so whats the difference? or is it just personal preference?
thanks for the info.

First off, no two UDS' s cook the same.

A lot of it depends on how big you make your basket and then it depends on if you fill it or not.

I put my grate 8" down from the top. That put it about 14" above my basket. My basket will hold about 30 pounds of lump, so I've never filled it. I did put 20 pounds it for a 18 hour brisket cook witnout any problems ( didn't use all of tbe coals eitber).

If you use a webber lid, you can put your grate closer to the top.

Dont worry too much about it. Build it....then learn how yours works. It will be fine.

First off, no two UDS' s cook the same.

A lot of it depends on how big you make your basket and then it depends on if you fill it or not.

I put my grate 8" down from the top. That put it about 14" above my basket. My basket will hold about 30 pounds of lump, so I've never filled it. I did put 20 pounds it for a 18 hour brisket cook witnout any problems ( didn't use all of tbe coals eitber).

If you use a webber lid, you can put your grate closer to the top.

Dont worry too much about it. Build it....then learn how yours works. It will be fine.

I ran mine on 18# of RO briquettes and it ran for 12 hours at 250* the whole time and I still have extra coals. This was my first run on my new UDS. So as Just BS said just build it fire it up and go from there.

aight. Maybe now I can learn to post pics when I started on my uds.

Yeah, the 24" thing is a guideline, not an absolute. If your grate is only 22" from the bottom of charcoal basket, it's not really gonna hurt a thing.

Back