2nd comp-1st place brisket

SmokyOkie

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
Well, I got tired of folks acting like one couldn't know prize winning brisket from standard brisket unless they cooked and/or judged competitions so I decided to cook a couple of comps.

First comp was an organizational disaster in Stillwater, Ok.. Nothing got done when it was supposed to and nothing turned out like it was supposed to.

A few weeks later I had the pleasure of judging @ the Blues and BBQ comp in Bixby, OK (70 some teams, 15 judging tables)

Last weekend we entered the Boots&BBQ comp In Claremore, Ok. (49 teams and some pretty big names to boot)

We took first place in brisket (scores aren't up yet an the KCBS site, and I don't have the tally sheet with me) and 15th overall.

We've definitely got a lot of figuring out to do on our pork. Anybody got any tips?

Congrats on the brisket win, bro! Nice to know you've nailed one category, huh!

Hey Smoky, this was my 2nd comp too at claremore....I posted pics on the general discussion forum for brisky and ribs. We need a little work on presentation...but the meat is tasting good.

Talk with Keri, thats what I would do. Keep trying!!

Keri who?

It's kinda tough for me because I've never been a big fan of pork butt. I mean I've had some pretty good stuff I guess, but I'd rather eat ribs chicken or brisket any day. I've always cooked butts just to please the company. I'm sure I can get it figured out. I just haven't had the motivation before. I suppose what I make isn't too bad, it always gets eaten up, I guess its just not comp grade.

We'll score better next time.

Hey Smoky, this was my 2nd comp too at claremore....I posted pics on the general discussion forum for brisky and ribs. We need a little work on presentation...but the meat is tasting good.

Did I meet you there?

Where did you cook?

How did you place?

Seems like I remember meeting somebody from Moore.

Keri who?

Congratulations on the brisket.

And whaddya mean Keri who? All the time you spent over at our site talking to us Friday and Saturday, and all I rank is "Keri who"?

Gee thanks... :cool:

Keri C

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulation on the Brisket! And from reading I think Pulled pork may be the least of your problems (Kidding of course I agree with Arlin Back peddle Fast!)

You know i love ya Tim but.................

Attachments

• worthless_thread_without_pics.gif
    worthless_thread_without_pics.gif
    41.6 KB · Views: 137
Get some of that pork injection from Butcher's BBQ. He's right there in Oklahoma.

Congrats. We were in Broken Arrow this weekend. Wife's brother lives there.

A few weeks later I had the pleasure of judging @ the Blues and BBQ comp in Bixby, OK (70 some teams, 15 judging tables)

First off, congrats on the Brisket!

I have a question though, 15 full tables would be enough for 90 teams. Are you sure there weren't more teams? (or fewer tables?) I don't remember judging a comp where there was more than one short (fewer than 6 judges) table. I wouldn't think they would want to encourage that as it seems it would be unfair to the cooks.\

By having only 5 at a table, wouldn't you lose the "lowest score is thrown out" process?

There were 76 teams at Bixby. Can't give an opinion on the number of tables, as after four years of judging we've traversed to the dark side and are doing more cooking than judging now :biggrin:...

Keri C

Sandbagger mod

Seriously, congrats on your brisket. Now you can sing along to the sad melody of "What's It Take to Win GC?" In D minor, the saddest key.

Congratulations on the brisket.

And whaddya mean Keri who? All the time you spent over at our site talking to us Friday and Saturday, and all I rank is "Keri who"?

Gee thanks... :cool:

Keri C

:icon_blush::icon_blush:Oh, I thought you were Carrie, but then I never saw your name spelled out, and I did enjoy the visits and look forward to more. Why don't we get together sometime soon. Our place, or yours? Ribeyes and boulevard wheat sound OK?

What actually confused me the most is how beerguy knew that I had been talking with you and Robert.

Backpedal Mod!

Congratulation on the Brisket! And from reading I think Pulled pork may be the least of your problems (Kidding of course I agree with Arlin Back peddle Fast!)

Do you thinks the ribeyes will do it guys?

First off, congrats on the Brisket!

I have a question though, 15 full tables would be enough for 90 teams. Are you sure there weren't more teams? (or fewer tables?) I don't remember judging a comp where there was more than one short (fewer than 6 judges) table. I wouldn't think they would want to encourage that as it seems it would be unfair to the cooks.\

By having only 5 at a table, wouldn't you lose the "lowest score is thrown out" process?

I may have been off on the tabe count but there were no short tables brcause i remember them seeing to it that they were all full. I do know there were some categories where the table only got 5 entries though.

They can sure cram the tables into that tent, can't they? When we last judged there year before last, it was like sardines in there.

Back