New to Q

Swordfish 7195

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Reaction score
Hello and thanks for allowing me into the B. I am kind of new to the Q-scene and would like to know if I should go with a offset smoker (southWest Smoker) or a pellet smoker (rec tec)?

Respectfully
SF7195

Welcome. Lots of questions...

1) How much time do you want to spend in front of the pit?
2) How many are you cooking for?
3) What is your budget?
4) Is hardwood readily available for you to buy in bulk?
5) What is your experience with offset smokers?

Major difference in those, one is a little bit of work to get right and the pellet will be more like an oven. If you could give us a little more info like size, budget, cooking skill level, we might be of more help

I would recommend researching which smoker you would like to deal with before you get set on one or the other. What is your price range? Will you have time to tend a fire? What size are you looking for? What are you planning on using it for (catering, backyard, large groups)? There are many questions that need to be answered before people here can give you better advise as to which might be better for you.

WOAH HOSS!!! JM2C If it were me I'd start with a Weber Kettle learn the basics then after a 6 mths or so look to upgrade. I been BBQ'n over 30 yrs I have a half dozen pits and that kettel is still my go to for most cooks.

WOAH HOSS!!! JM2C If it were me I'd start with a Weber Kettle learn the basics then after a 6 mths or so look to upgrade. I been BBQ'n over 30 yrs I have a half dozen pits and that kettel is still my go to for most cooks.
So we shouldn't suggest a jambo?

But you eat possum... :shock: :wink:

I agree. The kettle is a handy cooker to have around.

Welocme. Go with the Weber Kettle 22.5 There isn't anything you can't cook on it. Then expand your arsenal, it can be a very expensive hobby! Good luck and enjoy

Mini wsm is what i started with--but i only cooked for 2-4.

If i had to pick one smoker, it'd be my 18.5 wsm.

But ive only been bbq'ing for 9 months so...

You might want to research the thread dedicated to building and cooking on 'uds' upright (or ugly) drum smoker that can be built cheap from a steel drum and is very easy to control MOST times. Do a google search for ' mother of all uds' at the bottom of this page.

I would start with something simple, and one that could double as a grill and smoker, like a kettle or a Kamado. Hone your skills and find out what you want out of your next cooker: ease of use, consistent temperatures, more smoke flavor, more capacity, etc. Read everything you can on the subject (especially on this forum) then buy another one (or like me, five or six more). Beware, BBQ can quickly go from hobby to passion to obsession...

I could not believe how well you can smoke on a kettle. I bought a WSM after the kettle but really didn't need to for the number of people I cook for. You can't go wrong no matter what you decide to get, these guys will have you cooking like a champ in no time.

Smitty loves the UDS! Im gonna go play on the wsm side now lol

Smitty loves the UDS! Im gonna go play on the wsm side now lol

It IS the BEST Beginner Smoker, Period.! I'm ready to move on to a Humphreys Pint tho.................just not financially.........yet.

It IS the BEST Beginner Smoker, Period.! I'm ready to move on to a Humphreys Pint tho.................just not financially.........yet.
cheap yes, but im not into building stuff that I dont understand fully.

Back