Meat Arrangement in a Verticle Smoker

Just Smokin' Around

Full Fledged Farker
Reaction score
When cooking at a competition with a verticle smoker, how do you arrange your meat in the smoker on the different racks? With juices dripping down, what is on top of what? Thanks.

I have three grates in my smoker. Butts on bottom rack, Brisket middle rack, Ribs top rack. Chicken in a different cooker.

I do 2 butts and 2 briskets, 3 slabs of ribs, and 10-12 pieces of chicken. I'll do one butt and brisket per rack, with the same setup below. The briskets and butts are foiled by the time the ribs go on, so it doesn't really matter at that point. Once the chicken goes on, I'll put a pan beneath it and the ribs so they don't drip on each other.

I do 2 butts and 2 briskets, 3 slabs of ribs, and 10-12 pieces of chicken. I'll do one butt and brisket per rack, with the same setup below. The briskets and butts are foiled by the time the ribs go on, so it doesn't really matter at that point. Once the chicken goes on, I'll put a pan beneath it and the ribs so they don't drip on each other.

Never done a comp but I have cooked all of above in one day and this is what I did.

I had five shelves in the medium Spicebox.

brisket over brisket & butt over butt on shelves (2nd & 3rd from top)...

in AM, ribs start on shelves 4 & 5, then moved up to (3 & 4) after brisket/butts were off.

chicken start on bottom shelf 5, then move all the way up to # 1 to finish hot (radiant heat from upper steel).

layer of foil on shelf 2 so the chicken didn't drip onto the ribs on shelves 3 & 4.

vertical order

I do the following on the Caldera Tallboy:
Ribs top 2 racks.
Pork Butts next rack.
Briskets next 2 racks.

The pork drippings only improves the brisket as far as I am concerned.
You thinking of going vertical, or just curious?

Brett

I had five shelves in the medium Spicebox.

brisket over brisket & butt over butt on shelves (2nd & 3rd from top)...

in AM, ribs start on shelves 4 & 5, then moved up to (3 & 4) after brisket/butts were off.

chicken start on bottom shelf 5, then move all the way up to # 1 to finish hot (radiant heat from upper steel).

layer of foil on shelf 2 so the chicken didn't drip onto the ribs on shelves 3 & 4.

Something like this, yep.

Wouldn't that depend on the make of vertical? I know BWS are hotter on top but I've heard a Stumps is hotter on the bottom rack due to set up.

I'm running Pork, Ribs, Ribs in my SS-2 with theree shelves, with Rob running Brisket in his. From there, we'll see where each smoker is at when it comes time to do the chicken, but should be in his due to temps and timing.

Butts
Brisket
Chicken

This. Sort of...

I don't mind pork basting beef or chicken, but I really don't want beef basting anything but other beef and chicken never bastes anything if i can help it. I also don't want anything to drip on the rib since it can leave dark spots.

If everything goes according to plan, butts go over briskets. Then, by the time the ribs go in the briskets and butts are in foil. Then, by the time the chicken goes in the butts and briskets are resting lazily and the ribs are foiled.

I cook two briskets, two butts, three ribs, and a bunch of chicken. On my Superior Smoker SS-1 I put a brisket on the right hand side of the second from the top grate and the second brisket below that. When the butts go on they go on the left side of those same grates. By the time the ribs go on everything is either wrapped or off. The chicken goes on the WSM.

Back