Dove In

RangerJ

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
6 weeks of submitting resumes and kissing up to corporate America netted me nothing so...

I'm entering the arena of slinging meat for a living. Coming to a corner near someone, somewhere in Texas is

Need to get it wrapped with my logo and I have to order something to cook on for the porch but Whoop, there it is!

I'm probably going to create a blog to chronicle this, some would say, foolishness. I'll post it here when I do.

Once upon a time, in Airborne School, I stood in the door waiting for the green light. I had no idea if any of the crap they told me or the equipment was going to work but at that point I was committed. Same feeling in my stomach now.

More to follow....

Congrats brother! I wish you the best. You're doing what I hope to be doing in the near future. How much did you pay for the trailer if you don't mind me asking? I'll be following closely!

Big time Congrats!!! Wish I had the guts.

Cant wait to read the blog and good luck!!!

:clap2::clap2::clap2:

Congrats man! The company I have been working for is going under shortly and Ive been sending resumes for months. Im "overqualified". Seriously been considering buy a trailer just like you and setting up shop 30seconds from my house on the highway the feeds all the NJ beaches.

Vinyl wraps ordered will start taking place on Monday.

Went with the same design as my comp logo, only changed the bottom from competition cookers to "barbeque".

Going to keep things simple, will add the web address, phone number and the twitter logo across the bottom.

Once some things slow down, I'll get a tumblr site up for anyone who is bored and wants to follow along.

Might be cooking on UDS's and dragging the Jambo around to start, seems all the pitbuilders around here are months behind.

More to follow...

Nice rig dude.

Cook good Q and the word will spread.
Just be prepared for the loss of sleep till you get your processes down. But you have done comp, so that will help.

Wraps Done.

Serving Side.

Starting the process for approvals in the City of Houston / Harris County, the Ft. Bend and Wharton Counties.

Good looking rig Ranger. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do well. I'll see if you are around somewhere next time I'm in Sugar Land.

That looks great, imagine that the appearance factor is covered.

Good looking rig Ranger. Best of luck to you. I'm sure you'll do well. I'll see if you are around somewhere next time I'm in Sugar Land.

Get on the Twitter if your not, its my preferred social network, lots of Que guys there. I'll be all over and hope that at some point I can settle in. Not limiting the "mobile" part of the operation as I have multiple weekend gigs lined up in August already.

I have a quote from the guys at PM for some smokers. Vertical just seems to make the most sense at this point and, rolling down here with an SP or OH, is probably not going to get folks to stop.

going to try and squeeze Bedford in as perhaps the last hurrah on the competition circuit, if your going let me know.

That looks great, imagine that the appearance factor is covered.

Thanks!

Well its not as sexy as my sign on my Jambo that was airbrushed with lots of metallic paint, but I have to say, it does pop! Driver side is a rolling bill board.

Now, all the other things that I read about on here and elsewhere that I said.."pshaw" about, well umm, lets just say they are keeping me quite busy.

Get on the Twitter if your not, its my preferred social network, lots of Que guys there. I'll be all over and hope that at some point I can settle in. Not limiting the "mobile" part of the operation as I have multiple weekend gigs lined up in August already.

I have a quote from the guys at PM for some smokers. Vertical just seems to make the most sense at this point and, rolling down here with an SP or OH, is probably not going to get folks to stop.

going to try and squeeze Bedford in as perhaps the last hurrah on the competition circuit, if your going let me know.

We decided not to do Bedford this year. It was way too hot and expensive from Amarillo. Hope you do well.

Good luck. I have been self-employed most of my adult life, and I'm self employed now. It is not for everyone -- you have to be a little bit crazy to live like this.

But, being a cancer survivor makes it a little easier to be a little bit crazy. I ride this roller coaster and sleep well -- most nights.

My only advice is to be realistic about the short-term, and stay focused on the long term. I hope you have deep enough pockets to get you through the short term. I went through some rough times, but never lost my house.

If this is about making a living, I wouldn't waste money competing. How many consumers really know anything about competition BBQ -- of care about it. If your rig puts out a good smell, people will want to check it out. If your que is righteous, give out samples in little cups. Think like a crack dealer -- give them a little taste, and get them hooked.

Seriously, IMO, don't focus on making BBQ that wins competitions. Focus on making quality BBQ that ordinary people want to eat. Serve up BBQ that Houstonians can't get at Colter's or Spring Creek BBQ, but isn't as pretentious as competition BBQ. Give people what they want to eat.

Keep us posted. I get down to Houston on a regular basis. I'd like to taste you que. I hope it rocks!

CD

Looks great mate! I want one! Lets see some more pic and some of the inside. This is something that has been in the front of my mind for the last two weeks. It may be years away for me, but I wish you luck! I am a marketer an I like the idea of twitter especially if you are mobile. This will let your followers find you everyday and if done right, a great marketing tool! Again, good luck and I'll be watching.

I have one on order just like it. I had the back enclosed with flip up doors. Fitting it with an Ole Hickory CTO. What size truck are you pulling it with?

Back