• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

how to keep pulled pork warm vending

Q

QueTPiesBBQ

how is the best way to keep pulled pork warm, while doing roadside vending. I have a trailer and access to electricity. I thought about a crock pot. Any one have any ideas?

Neil uses chaffing dishes right now but if there something better, I'm listening.

We keep the cooked meat in the Cambro, and then once it is ready for serving we have a couple portable food warmers/steam tables like this:
http://www.acemart.com/restaurant-e...armer-full-size-1200-watts-22-qt-each(APWW-3V)
These work good for us since we usually either have access to electricity, or we use our Honda generator. When we do not have access to any electricity we use chafing dishes.

For vending the portable food warmers/steam tables work best when we use the roll top lids. Makes it much easier to open and close 80,000 times day.
rolltop-cover.jpg

Ohhh, and I have seen QN4U use electric roaster ovens.
http://pullmansunrental.com/sun_chafing_dishes/18 qt. Roaster Oven.JPG

Hot boxes are your best sources for keeping food warm with out it going dry.

YMMV

I have a 4bay steam table in my truck. Everything is reheated in broth or apple juice and kept covered and regularly turned to keep moist.

I have a 4bay steam table in my truck. Everything is reheated in broth or apple juice and kept covered and regularly turned to keep moist.

We are hoping to one day buy one of those that runs on propane. We rent one once in a while and our rental guy laughs at us whenever we ask if we can buy it. Although, I have no clue where I would store it if I actually owned one of our very own. We also use apple juice or broth to keep the food moist in the steam tables. If the product sits in there too long we just toss it, but that rarely happens.

I use the same thing only smaller. I have a couple of single pan electric warmers. 3 cans each. 6" deep can will hold more than 5lbs of Brisket and pulled pork. I spray or sprinkle apple juice on the pork every hour or so and it holds all day without getting dry.

We are hoping to one day buy one of those that runs on propane. We rent one once in a while and our rental guy laughs at us whenever we ask if we can buy it. Although, I have no clue where I would store it if I actually owned one of our very own. We also use apple juice or broth to keep the food moist in the steam tables. If the product sits in there too long we just toss it, but that rarely happens.

I had to go look at the pricing for one of those since I have absolutely no idea.
This four bay gas fired steam table on wheels is $1395. http://www.dvorsons.com/Duke/SteamTables.htm.
This one is $1342. http://www.globeequipment.com/Vendors/Duke/Cooking+Equipment/DUK!304.html

and the rental places that post pricing are around $125 per day. After 12 rentals it's a cash machine. No wonder he laughs....

we picked up a 3 well steam table that runs off propane for 300 bucks at a used restuarant supply house. nothing fany, it has two mushroom shaped heads that you light ,,once everything is up to a safe temp, you can turn one off and keep the temps up with just one burner.. works real well.,, for inside events, we use the electric roasters,,,, and I like to add dr. pepper to my pork to help keep it from drying out. seems to go real well with pork.

Do not use a crock pot. I used one last Sunday and had it on low. It ended up burning the meat. The last time I served the public, I used an electric roaster. It worked really well, I just kept adding apple juice to the roaster to keep the meat moist. The only drawback to this is that you lose some of the color of the smoke ring in the meat.

Thanks for all the input, you have given me a lot of great ideas.

Electric roasters is how we roll here in the Heartland, but it all depends on how long you need to keep it hot. For extended times, I would suggest a hot box then transfer to a warmer dealie like Mista suggested.

Back