Attention Judges

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

How would you feel about being invited to help a team with pack-up after the judging? Maybe tip back a few, chat with the cook, get an idea of what happens on the teams side of the competition fence & lend a hand cleaning and packing up.

This is in furtherance of the commendable goal expressed in the thread about finding a way to have judges and teams come to a better understanding of what they do and are responsible for.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

We don't have any problem helping. We've been doing it every chance we get for the past three years. I know there's one certain competitor on this forum that can attest to it.
So just ask us, we'll give anyone a hand that needs it.

Hubby & I have done so & would definitely do it again-need any help, just ask! We want to get to know the teams, the main reason we judge is to be around others who love to cook.

I wish you guys would be at comps I'm at... I get awful tired packing up all by myself.

I really like this idea. :biggrin:

If both a team and judge are willing and linked up, it's a good idea..

but from an outsiders view I think it's pretty chitty to make cleaning up an opportunity.. Usually the teams are in a flurry of motion and socializing after the last turn in is probably not the first thing a cook wants to do..

again.. if you get willing participants on both sides, it could work but as a cook or a judge I'd probably pass.

but from an outsiders view I think it's pretty chitty to make cleaning up an opportunity.. Usually the teams are in a flurry of motion and socializing after the last turn in is probably not the first thing a cook wants to do..

again.. if you get willing participants on both sides, it could work but as a cook or a judge I'd probably pass.

We've only done what the teams wanted us to do, toted the gray water and ashes, helped take down the shelter, added muscle or direction when needed to get the pit into a trailer, etc. No way we'd try to horn in or get in the way of somebody's routine, but we're not there to eat and run.

We don't have any problem helping. We've been doing it every chance we get for the past three years. I know there's one certain competitor on this forum that can attest to it.
So just ask us, we'll give anyone a hand that needs it.

Well I guess this is where I say thanks for the help. Note that John actually did cook one contest with me instead of judging as I was looking for a helper. As a resut of that we developed a friendship that continues today. We usually spend a little time talking of Friday then I don't see John or the family until after judging unless some of them are not judging. As I usually cook by myself an extra pair of hands is great.

Tunr-in at 1:30 and packing starts for me at 1:35. By awards I usually have the trailer ready to go. I do my socializing Friday night and Saturday morning before 11:00.

As you can see by my comments above it works but it works because both parties want it to work as you suggest. I agree if judges were just asked to help a team it might not work. And some teams have lots of people and don't need or want help as they often kick back and relax.

Note that I have gottent to know a number of judges in the upper midwest area that are regulars and I usually see them drop by after turn-in to talk for a bit. A number of them will pitch in with the heavy lifting if I'm at that point in packing. Otherwise we usually just talk and I really appreciate their comments,

We have a system of breaking down, any other hands imo would just get in the way. If they want to come over and shoot the chit right after before we leave thats fine, but we are usually broken down and ready to go before awards, when competing only. I think interaction with the cooks and judges is good, but not when they can be in the way.

I'm with Vinny and Matt on this one. Right after the last turn in we start to tear down and pack up. Its pretty orchestrated and somewhat hectic, I am not really in the mind set for visiting. Usually, if I get a visitor during this time, the stink-eyes shot at me by the other working team members is enough for me to cut the visit short and return to the business at hand. As I have a tendency to get involved in a conversation and forget what I am supposed to be doing. The stink-eyes are just a friendly reminder. However, Friday night or Saturday after packing and before awards, stop on by and we'll have a cold one! After awards, you'll likely only see our tail lights.

Imho, after turn ins there is nothing more i want than to sit down with a beer, cigarette and my friends and shoot the chit for a little while, usually the past few hours werent the best of times. Than, we load up, wait for the awards. If a judge wanted to come over and have a beer and shoot the chit, maybe give us little pointers cuz we're still a little green...that'd be great, but id never expect or even think to ask one of them to help me clean up.

I don't think anyone is going to force you guys to accept any help loading. Or for that matter even interacting.....

The original post sort of makes that obvious.

Hi,

How would you feel about being invited to help a team with pack-up after the judging? Maybe tip back a few, chat with the cook, get an idea of what happens on the teams side of the competition fence & lend a hand cleaning and packing up.

This is in furtherance of the commendable goal expressed in the thread about finding a way to have judges and teams come to a better understanding of what they do and are responsible for.

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks,

Eric

I think if an open invitation was made in the judge's meeting... Something like....

"Some of you may not realize that the teams that produced this great BBQ you are about to judge, have been at it for well over 24 hours... If some of you would like, I'm sure that there are teams that would be more than thankful for any help in packing up they can get... I'm also sure that once done, they would like to hear your impressions of the food you are about to judge.

Now keep in mind that some teams are extremely organized and have this down to a science, but there are always first time teams and teams that may be short a person or two. The best way to find a team is to ask. If they need the help, they'll welcome you in. If they don't need help, I'm sure they can point you in the right direction."

A little for-warning should also be given at the cooks meeting...

I'm with Matt, I respect the judges generous donation of their time and money to come judge a contest and would never ask them to help "Pack Up" or do any dirty work. I would however ebcourage them to attend any Potluck or Team Dinner the night before, which offers an enviroment that is much more relaxed and social. I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about.

I'm with Matt, I respect the judges generous donation of their time and money to come judge a contest and would never ask them to help "Pack Up" or do any dirty work. I would however ebcourage them to attend any Potluck or Team Dinner the night before, which offers an enviroment that is much more relaxed and social. I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about.
I agree:biggrin: Would love to see the judges join us for the potluck :biggrin:

I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about...

I think this is the way it should be in order to judge...

Looks like we're all on the same page as far as judges helping clean up & break down after comps. Need help? We'll help. Need us to get out of the way? Can do!

I'm not sure how it would work to have every judge cook with a team in order to judge. When I did my cook to get my master CBJ certification (including entering my own side and sauce) it was lots of fun and lots of stress, especially when the alpha cook left me to watch the temps. Temps went down, I adjusted air flow, didn't help, what to do, what to do? Not my pit, not my meat, what if I screw everything up?

Well, I didn't screw everything up, but if I was a cook, and I didn't know the judge, I'd be a little leery about taking anyone on as anything other than as a pit b!cth.

Saucy, did you make it to New Albany, IN? I was looking forward to meeting ya....

I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about...

I think this is the way it should be in order to judge...

Isn't that a requirement for the Master Judge?.....I thought that it was pretty cool that it was a requirement for that....

I like seeing a lot of the judges that I have met from all around....I mean, Ma and Pa Kettle, some of the nicest folks that I have met.....

I also think that you need to cook at least one contest with a team to find out whats its all about.

I think that we've all been to this dance before.

If this is meant in a 'wouldn't it be nice' sorta way, fine. If it is meant as a 'this should be a requirement to judge' way, I couldn't disagree more.

The amount of time, effort and expertise that a team puts into their cooking should have no bearing on how their entree is and should be judged.

If the sanctioning body overseeing the event adds an 'effort' category, I would change my mind.

Eric

I spent 20+ years, first as a volunteer worker and later a team member, in an amateur racing organization with structure and participants very similar to those of KCBS. We used to have "social events" after the qualifying sessions on Saturday that allowed the volunteer workers (timing and scoring, safety workers, technical inspectors) a chance to share a drink of choice with drivers and team members. A lot of bench racing and bragging went on and a lot of friendships were made. I wonder if something similar could be done perhaps starting 30 minutes prior to awards through 30 minutes past awards. Judges, volunteers, cooks, dishwashers, family pets can all get together and get to know each other. All members would have to be committed to make this work. It was really easy to go home at the end of a long day at the race track but once you got to the social it was a lot of fun. From there team members can determine if they want someone helping them pack up or unload and set up at the beginning of an event. I can understand anyone being reluctant to accept help from someone they don't know.

Just another idea.

Back