• working on DNS.. links may break temporarily.

Maverick Accuracy Issues

clikover

Knows what a fatty is.
Reaction score
I got suspicious about the quality of the readings from my Maverick, so I bought a Thermoworks TW8060 to test it against...the difference in accuracy is really bad. The Maverick meat probe is ~20 degrees high and the smoke box probe is incredibly slow...it lags hugely. Eventually the Maverick smoke box probe gets to within 1 degree of the Thermoworks...but on changes, the Maverick is really inaccurate and could cause you to overshoot thinking your pit temp is way different than it is.

I WISH THERMOWORKS MADE A WIRELESS THERMO!!! Maybe if enough people asked they would consider it. The 8060 in a wireless model would be the ultimate BBQ tool...if they incorporated Bluetooth like the iGrill, they wouldn't even need to make a separate receiver, you could just use your phone. (hint, hint).

I've checked all three of my Mavericks with boiling water. All three were perfectly accurate. Mine don't take that long to get up to temp. Maybe 30 second - 45 seconds. I'm not sure what you're seeing.

I don't think the Mavericks are a commercial or industrial design. They have limitations. But for the price, they are decent.

TW8060 works great ya it would be great if they did make a wireless unit, my probs are off by 3 degrees the meat probe and the smoke prob both I got from Auber I've had them for a few months there cheap and work well. I almost got a Maverick but I got the TW8060 I'm never away from my smoker for long periods of time. Ya you should call up maverick, how long have you had it?

I've had it 1.5 years. Original probes. I would have thought it was accurate, until I decided to hook the Thermoworks up at the same time. The readings there make so much more sense. I don't know what the probe times are supposed to be on the Maverick, but mine are SLOW. Eventually the smoke box probe gets to the ~same temp as the Thermoworks...but like 10 minutes later! The meat probe was high by ~15 degrees the entire cook. I'm pretty positive that's what screwed up my last brisket, but given I had the Thermoworks this time...I don't have an excuse for the most recent brisket.

I just returned the food probe for my 732. After two uses it was reading about 30 degrees high ( checked it in boiling water). Their website states that will happen if/when the probe shorts out. That have a 90 day warranty, I hope yours is new!

I did have high reading once. Could have been my fault. I think the food probe was to close to the bone. Now I double check with a digital 6 second thermometer that I bought from Themoworks for $15. It was America's Test Kitchen's pick for budget thermometers.

I've had it 1.5 years. Original probes. I would have thought it was accurate, until I decided to hook the Thermoworks up at the same time. The readings there make so much more sense. I don't know what the probe times are supposed to be on the Maverick, but mine are SLOW. Eventually the smoke box probe gets to the ~same temp as the Thermoworks...but like 10 minutes later! The meat probe was high by ~15 degrees the entire cook. I'm pretty positive that's what screwed up my last brisket, but given I had the Thermoworks this time...I don't have an excuse for the most recent brisket.

I could be wrong, but didn't the ET-732 hit the market in January 2011, 1 year ago?

clikover, you never stated which model Maverick you own.

I've heard a few complaints that some of the 732s will read about 20 degrees high. What is even stranger is a few reports that they will suddenly jump 20 degrees in temp. This could really be bad. The slow response time does not bother me because if I'm using them, I'd be leaving the probes in for many hours anyway. I've bought two Mavericks before and both of them were POS. I was hoping the 732s would be better, but from what I've read, they've just got different issues. I know if I took a chance, I'd end up with one with jumping temperature problems and probes that go bad after 4 cooks. Yes, still waiting for a good remote therm.

FYI, I learned from my own experimentation, if you try and use the probes from the original E73 with the newer E732, it will be way off. 20* - 30* sounds about right.

I am having issues too. My new et732 seems to be inaccurate by 20-30 high. It starts off well, 15 higher than my side mount thermo on the drum, and them will randomly shoot up 20 - 30 degrees about a few hours in. When I get the drum down to 225 on the maverick, then the drum thermo says 150-160. Doesnt seem right.

I am going to do a boiling water test tonight. This thing is brand new. I dont trust it right now...

Alright. I got aggravated and pulled the maverick out. boiling water test put both the pit and meat thermo at 214 degrees in boiling water. These probes are working fine I guess. But there is absolutely something funky going on here.

There is no way the thermo on my drum reads 195, the stand alone oven thermo on the grate reads 220, and the maverick reads 235.

How does this make sense?

Alright. I got aggravated and pulled the maverick out. boiling water test put both the pit and meat thermo at 214 degrees in boiling water. These probes are working fine I guess. But there is absolutely something funky going on here.

There is no way the thermo on my drum reads 195, the stand alone oven thermo on the grate reads 220, and the maverick reads 235.

If you did the boil test your "stand alone oven thermo on the grate" must be off. Try checking all of it together in yor kitchen oven and see what happens there.

I had about 5 thermometers. I checked them and got 5 temps.
The boil test is correct.

I'm not quite sure what your measuring or how. BUT PLEASE NOTE, the temperature on the side of the drum can and will vary anywhere from 20* to 50* different from the center. The amount it differs will also change throughout the cook as the way the charcoal burns changes. This is all normal.

If a quick boil test was 214, I would say your Maverick is close enough.

Wow how did I miss a Maverick Thread. :shocked: I post on most of them that I find. I think that the answers given by most of you make perfect sense. Remember when testing any thermometer (Digital or Bi Metal) it is best to test with boiling water so you know what is your target temperature. Also thermometers have accuracy tolerances at different temperatures. You may be + or - 2 degrees at one temp range but + or - 4 degrees at another temp range.

I am a PM away for anyone that has a Maverick Question.
I get them often from people that feel their question is dumb and dont want to post it because they are embarrassed to ask.

I understand all the issues with thermometers. I am a knowledgable UDS user, I understand that the side thermo will be off 20 degrees. This is how I usually temp out my cooks.

I have two oven thermometers that read 225 on the grate. In this instance the side thermo on the drum reads lower at 200. This makes sense and is how I have always cooked.

I bought the Maverick to have an accurate thermo and for its remote capabilities. The Maverick starts out reading in sync (5 degrees higher) with the grill thermos but after 4 or 5 hours or so it jumps up to 260-270 when the grate thermos remain at 225 and the side thermo at 200. If I believe the Maverick and reduce the intake on my drum to get the Maverick down to 225, the side thermo on the drum reads 150 and the grate thermos 175-180.

I then ripped the maverick outta there to do the boil test. It was accurate as I mentioned at 214 degrees for both probes.

I put the maverick back in after restarting the unit and it was reading 235-240.

Later in the day about 5 hours later, it was reading 270-280 for some ribs while the side thermo read 220 and the grate thermos 245.This does not make sense to me.

The bottom line is that I don't trust the Maverick, and I just bought it. My first cook with the maverick a couple weeks ago was a disaster. I had temps climbing on a butt as normal, was up around 160 degrees internal meat temp and the maverick grate temp spiked. I ran with it and get it down to 225, listening to the maverick instead of the drum thermo which read 160. My temps on the meat started falling. This is when I began to be suspicious.

I bought the Maverick to up my level of cooking, to be more accurate and to get some sleep. The bottom line is that these numbers and temp differences don't make sense.

In the above described cook, what all were you cooking? Just a butt? Where were the oven thermos and the Maverick probe located on the grate? Could you look down and see where the fire was burning in the basket?

Back