Awesome Steaks and Some Great Sides (lots of pron)

Mister Bob

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
I started with three beautiful boneless ribeyes and brushed them with some olive oil.

BonelessRibeye1024-000001.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000002-1.jpg

Then I hit them with some Lawry's Seasoned Salt and McCormick's Steakhouse Seasoning and put them back in the refrigerator for a couple of hours to let the flavors permeate.

BonelessRibeye1024-000003.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000004.jpg

For sides I made grilled Vidalia onions brushed with Tiger Sauce, white mushrooms tossed in some olive oil and thyme, hasselback potatoes and a delicious panzanella (stale bread and tomato salad).

BonelessRibeye1024-000005.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000006.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000007.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000008.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000009.jpg

I set up the BGE for direct cooking, but banked the coals to the back to create different temperature zones. I rarely use anything but Royal Oak lump in the Egg, but there was a two for one sale at The Home Depot, and since I was grilling...

BonelessRibeye1024-000010.jpg

First the potatoes,

BonelessRibeye1024-000011.jpg

Once they start to get tender (about an hour later), the mushrooms go on. The fire's really cranking at this point.

BonelessRibeye1024-000012.jpg

Next on are the onions, then the steaks. Timing is everything and the goal is to have everything finish at the same time.

BonelessRibeye1024-000013.jpg

Mission accomplished! Everything turned out fantastic, and right on time. Enjoy the pics!

BonelessRibeye1024-000014.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000015.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000016.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000017.jpg

BonelessRibeye1024-000018.jpg

Last edited:
Mister Bob, Mister Bob, Mister Bob.... I just got done moments ago eating steak for the second time in 2 days and this post still made my mouth water.:p Great pics and excellent looking food. I'm stealing your idea of pre-slicing the taters. I have one question for you though, I've seen you use that catskill block in several posts with all kinds of different meat(including poultry if I'm not mistaken), just wondering if this is a dedicated meat block and/or what your sanitation practices are for it?

I don't even have words to describe this post. I am just in awe. I am bowing in your direction.
My one critique is that you should capitalize the "V" in Vidalia since the onion is named after the city of Vidalia, GA. I'll let you off the hook this time since you are a Yankee :grin:
Just kidding though, this post brought a tear to my eye.

Ummm, that was awesome. My wife and I just got hungry again. I love how you did the potatoes!!

Mister Bob, Mister Bob, Mister Bob.... I just got done moments ago eating steak for the second time in 2 days and this post still made my mouth water.:p Great pics and excellent looking food. I'm stealing your idea of pre-slicing the taters. I have one question for you though, I've seen you use that catskill block in several posts with all kinds of different meat(including poultry if I'm not mistaken), just wondering if this is a dedicated meat block and/or what your sanitation practices are for it?

I keep a bleach mixture in a spray bottle under the sink. I wash and sanitize the board as often as necessary. I also treat the board with a beeswax, mineral oil mixture once a week to reduce the board's porosity.

I do understand the principle behind dedicated cutting boards in helping to prevent cross contamination, and having multiple boards is great as long as it doesn't give you a false sense of security. Washing hands and utensils, drips on the counter, etc. is just as important as using a clean (or dedicated) board for food prep, to prevent food borne illness.

I have never had a problem, and I've been doing it this way for a very long time.

That is absolutely Beautiful :bow:
Is that the Guru Turbo Grate. If so do you like it and how does it work

Awesome! But I have a question. I always put the EVOO in the steaks after I've seasoned them. I literally rub the salt and pepper into the meat and then lightly oil them. Why do you oil them before seasoning them?

you should capitalize the "V" in Vidalia since the onion is named after the city of Vidalia, GA.

You're right of course, and I knew that. It has been corrected, my apologies to the folks from Vidalia, GA. :wink:

Awesome! But I have a question. I always put the EVOO in the steaks after I've seasoned them. I literally rub the salt and pepper into the meat and then lightly oil them. Why do you oil them before seasoning them?

Because I find it easier to get an even coating of the seasoning that way. I guess there's more than one way to skin a cat, or season a steak! Even on the big cuts, I don't rub in my rub, I pat it on; just the way I learned it I guess.

That is absolutely Beautiful :bow:
Is that the Guru Turbo Grate. If so do you like it and how does it work

Yes, that's the Guru Turbo Grate. I haven't noticed much difference when cooking low and slow, but for high heat grilling, I believe it gets me to higher temperatures faster because of the better airflow.

I hope my question didn't come across as scrutinizing. I was raised under the same school of thought as you. I was just curious of your practices. It seems to be anymore people freak out about raw meat. My Pops and Gramps were both butchers at one point and they both exclusively used wood blocks. So that's how I was taught, although I do have a separate board for fish. Anyways back to more compliments on your great spread...

I hope my question didn't come across as scrutinizing. I was raised under the same school of thought as you. I was just curious of your practices. It seems to be anymore people freak out about raw meat. My Pops and Gramps were both butchers at one point and they both exclusively used wood blocks. So that's how I was taught, although I do have a separate board for fish. Anyways back to more compliments on your great spread...

Not at all! It was a fair question, and I gave my honest opinion. I really do take food safety very seriously. Thanks for the compliments! :-D

Fantastic... I think it is my favorite meal I have seen posted for the weekend so far!:hungry::first:
I bought two potatoes today for Monday's cook. Will try your method out.

That is a beautiful plate of food, the panzanella is a nice touch, perfect for that meal.

Back