Going to retire a drum, any ideas?

jdub

is one Smokin' Farker
Reaction score
My first drum. I cut the lip off to try to fit a Kettle top. Well the cut was a little off, the drum and the kettle lid are a little out of round, and have been since the start. Trying to get it right has been nothing but chasing my tail, and several attempts to get it right have proved fruitless.
I put on the lid one time and it have a nice seal. Next time, it has a little leak and it spikes. Next time it gets a perfect seal and chokes.

I have sanded the top of the lid down to the point that the first "rib" of the drum is coming into play and the top will no longer fit if I sand any more.

So I am going to remove the guts and move on to another. I think the drum "knows", its sulking.

Any ideas before I do the deed?

You gave it a shot, move on to a newer drum and you'll enjoy the smoker much more with a good seal! :cool:

make a burn barrel out of it..lol

cut the barrel into sections and use as extention rings on your next UDS

make a burn barrel out of it..lol

cut the barrel into sections and use as extention rings on your next UDS
Hmmmmmmmmmm.....(gears in head turning, grinding noises, smoke from ears)
I have another drum. Its a flat top and it rocks, but I really want to get the kettle top right. I have an old kettle bottom to steal the lip from (more grinding sounds, hmmmmmm)

retired drum

Paint the old one green. Put a 55 gallon plastic bag in it and drop it off at a Park's parking lot.

Fark the kettle idea, use the bottom portion of the old one and a regular lid as a lid for the new one. Make a flat top lid.

Attachments

• DSC02797.jpg
    DSC02797.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 51
This was my first drum smoker and it was the springboard for what I enventually settled on now. Before the Ugly Drum Smoker thread got started Bigmista, Norco, thirdeye and others got my creative juices flowing and this is what I came up with.

100_1354.jpg

It had four daisy wheel vents with four 1/2" intake holes and a Weber daisy wheel top vent on the lid. I used an 18" Weber kettle bottom with a chitload of holes in it for the charcoal basket.

100_1390-2.jpg

100_1389-2.jpg

100_1391-2.jpg

I kept dinking around with it, cut the rolled lip off it, cut up donor drums to make a sleeve to make it taller and add more grates yada yada. I had fun with it, but I ended up scoring the 38" drums and set this bad boy out to pasture. Its a burn barrel now, but I'll probably scrap it in the Spring.

100_1353.jpg

100_1351.jpg

Gone but not forgotten!

Let it go!

Back