Secrets to chicken?

papitman

Is lookin for wood to cook with.
Reaction score
I watch BBQ Pit masters loyaly. I see a lot of them using butter baths, doesn't that wash away any seasoning? I have no idea how to do chicken, I need some help desperately. Ive done brisets and pork butts that came out awesome. My downfall is chicken and baby back ribs

You may lose some of the rub after the butter bath, I reapply after it comes out of the pan.

That's a comp thing. IMO Stupid for family eats. When all you need to do is cook skin side down. Brine it & cook it at 325-375 whole birds spatchcocked and always skin side down until the last 30 min

No butter baths.. even when i do comps.. just simple brine.. placed in smoke.. then sauced.. for comps.. no sauce for the house...

Maybe I'm just kinda dense & unable to follow along, but if they're showin' it to ya on TV then it isn't really a secret anymore.....?

I got ticked off one time & dumped a flat of a dozen thighs on upside (skin) down & they came out really good....I'm with BluDawg....take the downward path @350f..............

These went half the time up & half down & were just fine....
OCT9brisket2012048.jpg

If you must have them look pretty, dunk in thinned sauce 15 minutes before you're done & set back on to set up glaze......

With that kind of question, you're going to get tons of answers. Luckily, they are all right! But in the end, it all depends on the style of bbq chicken that you want to cook.

In my neck of the woods, it's split halves, turned every 30 mins or so, with liberal application of a highly seasoned mop sauce heavy on the vinegar and seasonings. We don't brine, add butter, etc.

The big deal with the muffin tins is to create a consistent size, which helps ensure even cooking times and a uniform presentation in the turn-in box. It's a popular strategy for competition queue, but wasteful for everyday cooking.

Are your ribs drying out? You can use a water bath and/or mop sauce to help. Many people also wrap 'em in foil in the middle of the cook to preserve moisture (look for the 3-2-1 method on the site).

That BBQ Pitmaster show seems to confuse more people than it helps. I am soooo not a fan. Super boring "reality" tv, that is basically one giant serious of product placement adverts. Nope. If you have to bathe something in butter to make it taste great, what is the point? (ya, I know its a comp thing, but ...come on). That show....ug. Sooo bad.

TRZA, DO you have a mop recipe??? My wife wont eat them if they have any heat, chicken or ribs, so anyone have a rub recipe ? And what would I use to brine with? I like my chicken to have no fat, the skin realy cooked good not crispy, but thin and melts in your mouth. I'd be doing mostly small chicken halves and breasts. SO with that what temp should I go with? How long? DO I turn Them. Im cooking on a heavy smoker I just picked up from lowes, the Oklahoma joes longhorn offset, its not like the thin metal crap you norm see.

TRZA, DO you have a mop recipe??? My wife wont eat them if they have any heat, chicken or ribs, so anyone have a rub recipe ? And what would I use to brine with? I like my chicken to have no fat, the skin realy cooked good not crispy, but thin and melts in your mouth. I'd be doing mostly small chicken halves and breasts. SO with that what temp should I go with? How long? DO I turn Them. Im cooking on a heavy smoker I just picked up from lowes, the Oklahoma joes longhorn offset, its not like the thin metal crap you norm see.
I brine mine in 1/2 gal water 1/4 cup pickle salt, 1/4 cup honey for 1hr per lb. Rinse well, pat dry.
Good rubs; Old Bay, Goya perfect seasoning(green lid)
Run your pit at a min 325 cook skin down it keeps it moist the skin acts like a dish to hold in the moisture and the moisture renders the fat and crips the skin. Chicken needs to be cooked to an internal temp of 165 in the breast and 175 in the thigh. I flip skin up for the last 15- 30 min.

Smoked Chicken pr0n

992242_10200915315979716_1371364966_n.jpgI use a Purdue oven stuffer roaster. Take out the pop up thermometer, rinse well in cold water and pat dry inside cavity and out. Cover in olive oil, and place your favorite rub on the chicken. Make sure you put rub in the cavity. Wrap in foil and place in the fridge for a minimum of 6 hours - preferably over night. Set up for indirect cooking at 235. Make sure you use a drip pan. Smoke with any type of wood - I like hickory. It will take 4 to 5 hours - internal temp at the breast should be 175. When juices run clear you are done.

I love thighs. Cook at 360-375 skin side down. Flip at 30 mins. Cook till IT of 160 or 165 and let rest for awhile covered. Awesome, always!

When you say skin side down do you put them in direct or in indirect? Thank bros!

Ill do chicken until it hits 170 in the thigh. Usually about an 1-1.5 at 350*.

When you say skin side down do you put them in direct or in indirect? Thank bros!
I start mine indirect until the thigh shows 170* then skin side down over direct to crisp the skin. I sauce before hitting it direct.

whats the difference between direct and indirect, and what is the 3-2-1 method? And what would be the temp on breasts? And what would 1.5 be on time? Does anyone have a good mop recipe???

Last edited:
Back