Too low, too slow?

I do not know much about soude vide cooking, so I don't know what is 100% possible and what isn't possible.

I also do not know the science behind the collagen breaking down over longer periods of time at lower temperatures under 160 degrees.

I do know with traditional cooking methods that connective tissue break down during the stall, between 160-170 degrees internal temperature. I do not know if that connective tissue begins breaking down at 140 degrees but just needs a much longer time to completely break down.

Could the lady's oven be higher than 140 degrees inside. Absolutely, especially if it is an electric oven. Set it at 140 degrees on the knob and it can run anywhere between 120-180 degrees, only a probe thermometer can tell us the truth on that.

As for being dry, as bludawg said. If she wraps that pan up tightly with plastic wrap or foil, it will capture any drippings and still be a nice moist cooking environment that will end up with drippings in the pan, as there is no where for the moisture to evaporate to.

Do I know 100% sure that it is possible. Nope. But I wouldn't say it isn't possible since soude vide cooking has been a game changer technique in the culinary world.

This right here is the truth. Soude Vide cooking is much different than regular cooking. The food safe temperatures also adjust with the length of time being held at a lower temperature. I can't say for sure if that is what she is doing or if it is safe. However you can cook pork at 140 degrees safely and where it is not completely dried out.

Yep yep. What is often over looked is that we are dealing with temps over time. Collagen will start breaking down at 130ish, but it takes quite a bit of time at that temp for the effects to be noticeable.

What a great discussion!

She cooked the pork in a hotel pan , covered in foil. She used a liberal amount of white vinegar, in lieu of the sour orange juice most recipes use. She said she cooks it "really low, like 140" My first thought after seeing the roast, was that temp was much higher. The meat had browned. It alos pulled, as she pulled a big hunk off and ate it right in front of me.

Thank you for the links, and offering your expertise. Disregarding all else, I just wanted to know, if, some how, some way, she could of cooked it exactly as she said, and have that pork pull like it did.

I don't think so, That pork was tender and delicious, and I did not die from eating it, LOL.

No. I don't think she tried to mislead me. Like I said, her oven runs hotter then she thinks. As stated, I saw the roast, it sure as heck wasn't cooked at 140.

Not Celsius.

I gain NOTHING arguing with her, so I won't try. Bottom line, I am anxious to try her seasonings on my next pork butt, and make me some Cubanos.

Sous Vide, medium Boston Butt, 140 for 24-48 hours

I have not done a Boston Butt. I do those on my WSM.

I have done a chuck steak at 140 for 27 hours, it was pink inside, and tender.

Sous Vide, medium Boston Butt, 140 for 24-48 hours

I have not done a Boston Butt. I do those on my WSM.

I have done a chuck steak at 140 for 27 hours, it was pink inside, and tender.

Great picture find. That shows it can probably be done safely with her method.

Would I take 24 hours to cook pork so I could pull it, nope. But there are people that do, and more power to them.

I think she pulled your leg.

This...she isn't going to give up her secrets. It's pretty clear that it was cooked at higher temp - the seasoning she told you probably isn't anywhere near truth either. If you were making a living off of a recipe or cooking process would you give it up?

1."for 24 to 27 hours." she must refer to 140 F instead of 140 C.
2.In Sous Vide you can simmer your meat at 140F for 24 to 27 hours.
In oven it is even safer
3.More often than not Oven temp. display is different from true temp. inside the cooking chamber. She was told 140F by the oven, but true temp. may be 150F or 160 F

No. I don't think she tried to mislead me. Like I said, her oven runs hotter then she thinks. As stated, I saw the roast, it sure as heck wasn't cooked at 140.

Not Celsius.

I gain NOTHING arguing with her, so I won't try. Bottom line, I am anxious to try her seasonings on my next pork butt, and make me some Cubanos.
Just try it.
140F works great.
Use a thermometer to make sure 140F
Different opinions are nothing but from their "thinking", I doubt any of they really did 140F

Watch this gents.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sA34OoZBQOE"]Heston Blumenthal's - Kitchen Chemistry - Beef - Part 1 of 2 - YouTube[/ame]

Then follow on to part 2.

You get the science worked out, and this lady's method is perfectly OK, AND she's talking Farenheit.

One thing about this "danger zone" rubbish is that you have to consider a vector. Bacteria is on the OUTSIDE of a cut of meat. Not inside it. Once you wash and season that meat and put it in an oven of ANY kind, you are placing it in a sterile environment. There's no bacteria in an oven to make a pork shoulder go rotten in 24 hours.

I would think that her oven might be a little inaccurate, but not enough to make that much difference.

Have a look at the science. That lady knows her chemistry, even if she doesn't know why.

Cheers!

Bill

Heston didn't do the right experiment with the tough beef cuts. If, instead of 5 hours, he had gone closer to 48 hours at 135F in the water bath it would have come out tender like regular roast beef. (Depending, I think, on the quality of the beef, you might get the same result in as little as 24 hours.) But otherwise an interesting video.

The real issue here is, who the hell wants to cook something for 27 hours that you can get the same results or better in +/- 8 hrs.

Blu... am I right?

Captain Obvious

The real issue here is, who the hell wants to cook something for 27 hours that you can get the same results or better in +/- 8 hrs.

Blu... am I right?

Captain Obvious

I usually do 24 to 26 hours, longest has been 28 hours for pulled pork on the UDS but at 225 to 230.

Why Boz, Why?
Btw I need to talk to you about a temp controller.
Seriously though, is it that much better or a time issue?

Why Boz, Why?
Btw I need to talk to you about a temp controller.
Seriously though, is it that much better or a time issue?

I have no idea if its better or not, lol. I have never tried anybody's pulled pork or other smoked meats other then mine, not counting the stuff I buy at the store(rare). But, the people that do eat my pulled pork or smoked food, all seem to like it.

As for the controller, send me a Pm, Ill either try to answer all your questions or direct ya to whom can.

I have no idea if its better or not, lol. I have never tried anybody's pulled pork or other smoked meats other then mine, not counting the stuff I buy at the store(rare). But, the people that do eat my pulled pork or smoked food, all seem to like it.

As for the controller, send me a Pm, Ill either try to answer all your questions or direct ya to whom can.

Thanks Bro, I will shoot you a PM when I can digest the info. It is too late to talk tech.:wink:

Back