LI Ronald McDonald House

motoeric

Babbling Farker
Reaction score
Hi,

The Grill Scouts, Santa and the Grim Reapers will be cooking again at the Ronald McDonald House in Nassau County on May 24th.

If you'd like to join us or donate a dish, we'd love to hear from you.

For those of you that aren't familiar with the Ronald McDonald House, they are a residence for seriously ill children and their families that are adjacent to hospital. The children and families stay there free of charge, under the assumption that the last thing that family with a seriously ill child needs to worry about is figuring out how to afford to stay close to their child during a time like this.

This will be our third year doing this and it's a mix of sad, fulfilling and fun. We usually do the BBQ standards as well as burgers and dogs. With kids a LOT of dogs are eaten.

I'll see if I can dig up some photos from last year to post.

Thanks!

Eric

Good on you for donating your time!:clap: I know the feeling on it being a bittersweet feeling, some friends of mine and I did a fundraiser for a co-worker who had cancer, i did it to help not the recognition.

If anyone is able to donate a dish, I would be happy to pick it up the day before the event. If anyone is able to come down and lend a hand, we'd love to have you onboard.

Here are menu items that would go over well:

Macaroni Salad
Cucumber Salad
Mac and Cheese
BBQ Baked Beans
Cole Slaw

Pulled Pork
Grilled Chicken
Brisket

Burgers
Dogs

Thanks!

Eric

That's great you are doing that cook for the RMH. I really should see if there is anything we can do for the house in DC it came in right handy a few years ago with my daughter when she was at Children's.

If you make the decision to cook for the families there, feel free to give me a yell. I'd be happy to let you know what works and what doesn't here.

Eric

So, it seems that we have mac salad and beans locked up.

Can anyone cook some butts? We need about 40lbs. I'd be happy to purchase them at RD if someone can cook them up.

Can anyone make some coleslaw?

Thanks!

Eric

are you using the johnny grill? I may need it back on the 16th for a real estate fundraising event. In either case, I can get it back to you for the 24th.

are you using the johnny grill? I may need it back on the 16th for a real estate fundraising event. In either case, I can get it back to you for the 24th.

I thought that Santa got that back to you? Does he still have it?

We were going to bring down a few Weber kettles. If we can use your grill, that would make it much easier.

Eric

Ok, we are less than a week out.

The current menu is looking like this:

Mac Salad X
Baked Beans X
Corn Bread X
Cucumber Salad
Cole Slaw

Pulled Pork
Grilled Chicken
Burgers
Dogs

Various Baked Goods

X = items that people are making/donating

If anyone is willing to make some pulled pork or coleslaw, it would be a help.

Mike is letting us use his Big John grill for the burgers, dogs and chicken. We can heat up the pulled pork in the ovens in the kitchen.

Eric

Thank You!

A big thanks to everyone that lent a hand or donated some food!

Everything went very smoothly and the food was great. I'm sure that the leftovers will be enjoyed by families that could use a culinary break.

I hope to get some pictures back soon. I'll post when I have them.

Eric

Back