Stumps Clone

OutlawSwine

is one Smokin' Farker

Batch Image
Reaction score
I have decided to build a Stumps clone. I have everything I need except for the time right now. When I start I plan to start a new thread and post pics and detailed drawings (good or bad) along the way.

My question is this and so far am getting conflicting reports.
I am using 14 gauge on the inside of the cooker. 1.5" rock wall insulation in the middle and 16 gauge outside skin. Will regular auto paint be sufficient to paint this with or will I need high temp paint? I do not have a Stumps cooker so I am not sure how hot the outside of the unit gets. I plan on insulating the he*l out of it, so my thoughts are regular paint should work.

from what i understand and have seen, regular paint will do
there was a picture i saw where a temp gun was showing only 70 something degrees on the outside during a cook

Use single stage urethane with hardner auto paint, with a 2 stage primer under it. It will last 3 times longer that high temp paint and look a whole lot better. It will hold up well unless your pit outside gets over 275.I have several pits going on 3 years that are holding up well..Plus I own an autobody shop..

Use single stage urethane with hardner auto paint, with a 2 stage primer under it. It will last 3 times longer that high temp paint and look a whole lot better. It will hold up well unless your pit outside gets over 275.I have several pits going on 3 years that are holding up well..Plus I own an autobody shop..

Thanks! A friend of mine owns a painting shop and offered to "pimp it out" for me but wanted to know about the type of paint. This is exactly what I needed to know.

stumps uses PPG. i guess if auto paint is good for him then its good for you.. it'll probably bubble up after one cook.

Back