Party sized wings on a Weber Kettle

rwalters

Quintessential Chatty Farker
Reaction score
For all you guys that cook wings on your kettles... I have a quick question. I like mine cooked between 300-350 degrees. Knowing that, do most of you guys cook direct or indirect, or a combo of both? Thanks!!

When I do wings on my kettle, I do them indirect and then finish direct to get a little char and crispness.

I start wings direct, then move to indirect until done, cooking in the same range - 300°~350°. The larger party wings usually take 45 mins. to an hour or so depending on quantity. I sauce them after cooking.

I go indirect the whole time – to make the skin crisp I add about a teaspoon of baking powder to my rub and after coating I let them sit on an open rack in the fridge a few hours (uncovered).

I go indirect first, as hot as the kettle (bottom vent wide open) gets with a full chimney of lit blue. When they are cooked through I go direct for a few seconds per side to get a little char. I do this for wings, thighs, drummies. Doesnt matter what size.

Indirect...they always crisp up just fine....but my rub has a bit of sugar..which may help

Ok, another question...I have a large family, and we typically have others over when cooking wings. We normally devour a Costco sized bag of wings. Not sure if anyone can answer this, but bouncing between direct/indirect, do you think I could cook a whole bags worth of wings on a 26.75 kettle in one round? I don't have a 26.75 kettle, but would buy one if I knew it could handle that many wings at once...

I normally do wings on the kettle, probably up to 3 to 4 lbs worth max, but when I need to do more at one time I do them on the UDS, crank the temp to 300+ and use the entire top rack.

I normally do wings on the kettle, probably up to 3 to 4 lbs worth max, but when I need to do more at one time I do them on the UDS, crank the temp to 300+ and use the entire top rack.

Hey Carbon- I have done wings on my PBC, the same way you do them on your UDS. They are YUM. I guess you could say I'm just looking for the easiest way to cook the largest number of wings on one cooker, all at the same time. That 26.75 sure is big... but part of the grate would be lost if I can't use direct heat through the entire cook. Just lookin for a solution ;-)

I've done an entire 10 lb bag of wings on the UDS but that required using both racks which also required switching the top and bottom racks during the cook (for even cooking) which can be a major hassle if you're not careful.

Do most of you guys add wood smoke to your chicken wings...or just go natural with a nice sticky sauce at the end?

I'd suggest putting another cooking grate on top of two firebricks. It'll dramatically increase your cooking capacity.

Eric

Back